Atfab.co Chair

Wanted to try a super simple"download and manufacture" path, so I grabbed the file from http://atfab.co/ (their “5-30 minute chair”) and cut with 1/4" bit (3/4" cutting depth) at 20 mm/s, 3mm passes on my Lowrider v2 (fed into ESTLCam.) Cheapo $35 pine plywood from Home Depot, of which the chair took half. No idea how much faster I can push the cutter, started to get a little burning at full RPM so turned the Dewalt down to 4.

Finished using some brown stain from some old can I had, and spray lacquer over the top. Screwed together with #6 1" screws. About as easy as it gets! Their joinery is cool, and the book they publish is pretty interesting.

Perhaps not the most attractive chair in the world, but it’s an interesting conversation piece, and it’s quite comfortable! And super sturdy.

[attachment file=119438]
[attachment file=119439]
[attachment file=119440]
[attachment file=119441]

6 Likes

That’s cool. I’d like to do a Lowrider some day. There are quite a few flat pack designs I’d like to explore. I especially am thinking about a beehive design that makes efficient use of plywood. Although I do have a bunch of white cedar siding that is 5/4 and would make some good hives.

Nice!

Makes me want to build a lowrider…

That’s awesome! What did you use for fasteners? Dowels?

20mm/s is quick, especially with a 1/4" bit. 3mm isn’t a skim cut either. I woukd guess it works better at 10mm/s and 6mm doc, but you’re obviously doing fine.

Keep sharing, please!

Screwed together with #6 1″ screws.

Thanks, Barry.

1 Like

Re: dowels, that was my original intention, but with a 1/4" cutter and my somewhat half-baked ESTLCam paths, I just routed the through holes at ~6 mm depth and treated them as countersinks for screw heads. Considered putting wooden plugs on top of the screws and flush trimming them with a handsaw, but was happy with how they turned out (and in the interest of time better spent on my next projects :slight_smile: )

I might add that I didn’t follow the recommendation to do a finishing pass. It came out accurately enough, some minor (~1 mm) misalignments that may be due to my not-100%-flat temporary table. With the spiral upcut bit, a quick pass with a sanding block was good enough to quickly get rid of the fuzzies.

I feel like I should have all kinds of flat pack furniture around here, or that is what most people would think of a CNC biz.

Cool project thanks for sharing it!

I am mostly interested in making router templates on the CNC to assist with the more “traditional” stuff, but this was fun to do!

Yes! Ideal use, so perfect! Make sure you use a finishing pass for that though.

The last time I tried cutting out a stool, my router caught fire. Someday I’ll try again!

mickeychair.zip (60.8 KB)
Here’s you one to try, I’m going to try and give it a shot later this week for christmas gifts