Atomstack laser on the Rambo V1.4

Guys, I bought an Atom stack laser from amazon, and need a little intel on the wiring. I hooked up what appears to be correct, but can’t get the laser to work.

Has anyone set up an atom stack on the Rambo V1.4?

1 Like

I don’t know if V1 Rambo firmware comes with laser enabled by default(im using SKR pro) but if your sure of your wiring, what have you tested ?
Once connected to your board via USB in a gcode console, does M3 S1 light on the laser ? (M5 to light it off)
Try to look here, not same laser but it talks of 12V laser on Rambo 1.4 so it could help:

Thanks. My rambo is flashed for laser such that pins 2 and 4 are for PWM and ground respectively.

The laser driver lights up when 12 VDC is applied so the P/S and board appear to be fine.

I gave it M106 P2 S255 and got 4.93 VDC at the TTM to ground so the signal is getting there, but come to think of it, I cant remember if I checked polarity.

I’ll check that tonight.

I’m not sure how you have things configured. The V1 maintained firmware for the Rambo board defines pin 45 as the laser pin. In addition the default fan pin is 12V, not 5V. Also some people have reported quality issues with using fan pins as the control mechanism for lasers. The V1 maintained firmware uses ‘S’ parameter of the G0, G1, G2 and G3 commands to control the laser.

This may be the problem. I may be hooked up to the wrong PIN.
I’ll check Tonight!

Rambo1_4_ExtraPins

2 Likes

Understand, so pin 45 and any negative(gnd)?
The output should be 1-15VDC?

Correct.

The output should be 1-15VDC?

No. Output is 0 to 5V. You need to verify that is what the your laser expects.

Perfect - thanks.

Just to be clear, when using the built-in laser support, you will need to control the laser using the S parameter of the G0,G1,G2 and G3 commands. I believe M3/M4/M5 also work, but the M106/M107 will not work. There is some g-code attached in the first entry of this topic.

Understand. I’m looking at the Engraving test.Gcode now. I understand.

Thanks for the help. I’ll check it out in a couple of hours and let you know.

OK…I reflashed the firmware on my rambo and see different features. The laser works using PIN 45 when controlling with my LCD, but not from repetier host and manual control via gcode.
Still…at least I know that the rambo, driver, and laser works.

Now to figure out the controls.

Thanks a million!

4 Likes

If you use LightBurn, you will have to change defaut setting for laser mode in Device Settings:
Laser Control Commands → Inline
It’s needed to use G0,G1,G2 and G3 commands.

1 Like

It works! It’s alive! Thanks all!

2 Likes

That’s good to hear !
Do not forget to tag Robert’s post(Pin 45) as Solution, it could help other people by simplifying search on similar issue.

2 Likes