Auto Squaring, My axis is hella square...

ROFL… you are too funny Ryan. I will wait for your video. I will design up some end stop mounts for my micro switches.

Also have to figure out how to update my firmware for my voltage and stepper first.

Good on you for this development.

Sorry I just got too excited. I am about to do a G28 like no one has ever seen before. 5 steppers all homing independently. Sweet!

Big giant wire bundle though…

4 Likes

It’s ugly but in case anyone wants to try it before I clean it up a bit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/en54nvxqrpy2oor/Marlin_with_Dual_dual_XYZ.zip?dl=0

So, sorry for the super basic question. From a wiring standpoint I’m thinking I need to buy two more of the small driver chips and insert them into the headers on my ramps for E0 and E1. Then remove the splitter cable and wire each stepper to a driver. Would you then retune the drivers to match the Z axis in terms of setting the pot for voltage since they’re only running one stepper each? And which is which, E0 is X or Y? I want to give this a shot, I’ve been squaring by hand but would like to get into tool changes and workpiece flips so this functionality seems right up my alley.

Good work Ryan for sure I will use it:D but after I come back from delegation so 14 days. Then I can also help you with GitHub repo for mpcnc.

Great work Ryan ! Really impressive ! Now let’s hope it gets merged back in Marlin (once “cleaned-up”)

You got it. E0 is X E1 is Y in both the Repetier and Marlin versions.

Downloaded and tested as working, great job. Interestingly though, if you hit one endstop and then release it, it starts moving as if the endstop wasn’t hit. This doesn’t happen in a normal homing operation, but still. Also, it seems homing bump isn’t implimented yet, but at low speeds isn’t absolutely necessary.

Yeah, so far, no bounce, so if your machine is really out of whack homing twice might be a good option and I want to turn the homing speeds down a little further. The bounce might be tough as both end stops should be hit first then both should bounce at the same time.

The invert axis I don’t think works correctly at least it doesn’t work on the X axis I need to test the Y. No big deal just flip the stepper plug until I can figure out that code section. I have made a note to where I think the issue is.

I haven’t tested the offset function yet, but it could really come in handy for some serious fine tuning. It did work on the Y but I need to retest on both axis.

I think I have all the LCD code in but I will test that as well.

The delta and corexy stuff was not updated for this.

I’ll give it a shot on my machine. What should I be printing to mount the endstops? This gives an excuse to redo my wiring with pretty more in mind. :slight_smile:

Hey Ryan,

Its really looking good,

I’m going to up need to really up my game now with my machinekit project. :wink:

Can you provide the link for end stops your using? (will they install without removing the pipes?)

I still need to put them on my MPCNC/machinekit setup still and and change the the gantrykin kinematic module. At some point, I like to have a fine mechanical adjustment on one of the pairs. I was thinking about something like this Fine adjustment end stop Z axis by ArcherEG - Thingiverse

One of the things we(workshop88) implemented on our Sieg mill, is to home the Z-axis first at the Max Z position about the table before homing the X and Y. We did that so that we wouldn’t crash into figuring when you do auto-homing. (Dang, I wish we shot a video of it, it’s pretty cool)

Tom

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1023985

They snap on without removing the rails, I typically use zip-ties to keep them on screws are overkill.

With this firmware you just need to get the endstops close and you can fine adjust an offset to get it really precise.

This also picks up the Z axis before homing, I have it set to 10mm right now I think but usually that is plenty. A bunch of it is adjustable, which axis homes first, all at the same time, whatever.

I need to get a better video of it but, I kinda got stuck on another project at the moment.

This is insane, Ryan! Thanks refusing to not make this happen. This will be very, very nice. Buying more end stops and drivers now…

1 Like

Is there going to be a parts bundle add on for this upgrade? like the drivers and switches and holders and wire harness ?

Not an upgrade…an advanced modification.

I try to be clear about this because then new comers will want the “Upgrade” and to start with this sort of thing and it really really is not recommended unless you truly understand what this is doing and how to use work offsets. A modification makes a specific thing better usually at the cost of something else.

Sorry Not trying to be a punk just trying to save myself a ton of work down the road. I know it is coming because I am almost sold completely out of ramps boards in the last two days…

To answer your question, If you have a ramps you need 2 drivers, 4 end stops and some wire, the mini rambo just 2 end stops and some wire. The cost of custom endstop wires would actually be pretty high I don’t think it would be worth it if it wasn’t for the little connectors I would say no way but I will get a quote. I already have some single steppers extenders That I guess could be used and converted. Let me look into a price.

I understand it isn’t a requirement or even needed by most of us but as a kit to add when we get there may be way cool

Yeah. The firmware changes are advanced, for sure. No one else will have to modify it, but I don’t think it will be easy to get merged into mainstream, and it will be work with each Marlin upgrade to bring this change with it. I think Ryan is right to call this an advanced mod. It would be great if only advanced or aspiring advanced operators tried it. Even if the firmware and wiring was done for you, there’s a lot about the machine and CAM to know too. Luckily, there are more and more advanced users here all the time.

I haven’t actually reviewed it yet, I just barely have had time to set up the before/after git snapshots. I’m comparing it to 1.1.4, is that right?

I’ve been working on painting a room in our house, and that seems to take me days. I really want to check this out soon though.

I can’t figure out if it is 1.1.4 or 1.1.5.

That is the bummer about it. I am sure a Marlin dev could have worked this in no problem, but most printers have no use for it so why bother. Took me days, I am sure someone more familiar with marlin could have done it in a half a day for sure. I do hope it does get worked in at some point.

I have to see what sort of things Prusa did to calculate perpedicularity of his axis on the MK2. He has some crazy stuff in there, like the expansion board.

Hi Ryan

Allot of the awesome updates to Marlo. Was from 1.1.5. I would assume that these updates are in line with what you are doing.