Benchy

Since most of us have 3D printers, I know some people buy the printed parts. I am sure most of us have printed benchys. So I propose that we, as a group develop a MPCNC_BENCHY. Or two, one for wood, one for aluminum? The crown is s good test of operation and movement. I propose a g-code that would be more operational. What are the groups thoughts? What would be helpful? What would we test? What would be tested. I am thinking about a code that tests

accuracy.

repeatability

Depth of cut.

max speeds

thoughts?

T

1 Like

Something at least semi useful, like at least a drink coaster, endmill holder or something. It would be awesome.

2 Likes

Coaster a great idea. Ok to use V1

logo?

add tool to be 1/8” single flute end mill

Of course! That does give me an idea. The logo can only be cut in two ways because of the sharp corners, one is with a V Bit, the other is in three levels of Z. The sharp surround on the tallest level, the surround the middle layer, and the letters and logo all the way through? The second way could be a decent test piece, rounder corners give accurate diagonal measurements even.

1 Like

What about a speed square for the shop?

1 Like

My machine wasn’t square the first time I cut something. Cutting a speed square would be me just cutting scraps into smaller scraps :slight_smile:

I like the idea of the coaster. Make a nice circle with just the triangular design part of the logo centered in it.

2 Likes

I thought that was OP’s point to create a benchy or benchmark part to test and calibrate the machine.

1 Like

More of a calibration piece so even if a coaster wasn’t perfect it could be used. Might even be cool to have a set that got more perfect each try, a progressive set.

Round over would be a good test as well for the Z axis vs just a plunge.

Could even do more advanced logo/coasters that test different bits.

Need a customizable gcode post processor (python or something) to tweak feed rates, depth of cut, etc for different stages of the testing?

Fusion 360 has the option to open G-code With “Brackets”. I recommend doing this. I think we need to keep this simple to start. I envision a 6" x 6" piece of material. With V1 logo and anything else we want to add. Maybe slots, at various speeds and feeds, plunge rates. bored holes various sizes

respectfully

T

[attachment file=“Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 11.44.43 AM.png”]

2 Likes

Ryan/Sean

great idea. A series of benchys, going from simple to complex, adding more tests, and features. First one single tool. what does everyone think about a 1/8" single flute end mill ?

1 Like

I think thats the milling equivalent to a #2 pencil! Good idea. I mean it goes crazy from there right?! I mean V-bit (of varying degrees), ball nose (of varying sizes), 1/16th", 1/32". Thats jus the bits I can think of right now! I like the idea of using the logo since its a little bit of showing off/branding every time you make one.

1 Like

Interesting idea, I mean the sky’s the limit, sizes, different phases (V1-Benchy-2.0), would be cool to know that everyones working from a similar Gcode, so I guess the more settings the less true that is…

Perhaps to add to repeatability, just overall size and DOC, and Benchy version? (Assuming there is more than 1 version)

I love this entire thread. I’ll throw this idea into the mix but I may have just missed it if it was already suggested.

What if the V1-Benchy was intentionaly cut as two pieces then pressed or fitted together. Especially if they were intended to be cut with one oriented in the X direction and the other in the Y direction. aka one is rotated 90 degrees. That way when you try to press them together you can see if your axes are correct, tight, square.

And what do we call Name this?

1 Like

Aaryn

i like the idea. I think it hits two points, the axis are square and parallel. Is there a better/simpler way to check this? Will the test give visible indication of the problem?

T

Just thought 2 pieces that fit together, one inside the other. Now we have added some tolerance to the mix. I vote for calling it MPCNC_BENCHY_Vx

A pen mount and simply drawing some big right triangles would probably be the most straightforward… but probably not as much fun.

True. I like the idea of doing the X/Y comparison as part of a paper plotter test. Probably something square shaped that can be folded on the diagonal to see if it all lines up. That is a LOT easier for a beginner.

I retract the idea of the two piece coaster. Let’s keep the V1 MPCNC Benchy a single piece that tests a few other things.

I think the current design works pretty well. It might benefit from a lip around the outer edge but it doesn’t need one.