Best color combinations

As I am planning to build a MPCNC I want to make sure it looks cool, because well it’s important :wink:

I am curious what colors of filament people have been using when they make their machines.

Please post some pictures because I think this could be fun!

Thanks in advance

Have you seen the #mostly-printed-cnc-mpcnc:builds-and-things-built ? Lots of inspiring color combos there.

1 Like

I’m going with copper and something… haven’t decided… might make it all copper, or copper and black or copper and “gun metal steel”

What do you think of this color combo?

1 Like

That looks pretty nice.

I installed some really dark blue cabinets with gold hardware and they looked really awesome, but if your copper is really a true copper that probably wouldn’t look great. But if it’s closer to gold it might be something to consider.

I started to just look at complementary colors on the internet to get some inspiration. I haven’t settled yet.

Yeah its pretty close to a polished copper… maybe just a touch more orange. Let me know what colors you decide. So many fun combinations

I just pulled the trigger, and I have decided to go with baby pink. I just think it would be a cool color. Might go black for the bottom?
also, Atom, love the KotoR droid! the copper looks great. Will be interested to see it all put together

1 Like

I went black and blue. I figure the machine is going to be beat up anyways… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@niget2002 but that first photo you want looking good. all the dirt is why i went with a metallic color… it will get dull from dust but then when i wipe it off with a rag it will be like BAM! in my face again. hopefully it will encourage me to keep it clean XD

I found these two colors that popped my interest. I want to see them in person. It really depends on how bright the orange is!

https://www.microcenter.com/product/625951/175mm_Jacinth_Silk_PLA_3D_Printer_Filament_-_1kg_Spool_22_lbs)

https://www.microcenter.com/product/625953/175mm_Blue_Silk_PLA_3D_Printer_Filament_-_1kg_Spool_22_lbs)

nice orange and blue always a good combo, my wife thinks i should use this green with my copper. image image

My first mpcnc was pink and gray because that’s what I had and it turned out really nice looking:

Red blue black white and brown with a gray piece in there somewhere. Covid constraints

1 Like

Ok, I made a decision!

Cyan Silk:

Jacinth Silk:

I will print some parts as soon as I decide on 1" DOM or 3/4" EMT conduit. I can get both, is there an obvious choice?

My hopes are for a 24"x24" build volume using the MPCNC.

2 Likes

Boise State fan?

https://images.app.goo.gl/5mSH3mLRAU4TNoJN6

Well the DOM is an upgrade from the emt but is also more expensive and requires maintenance to keep it rust free

IDK, I think the rust issue might be overblown. They will rust, but won’t it take like a decade? IDK, I live in Colorado, not the beach.

I have.had A 4 foot piece in my basement for 2 years and no problem yet and black gas pipe that is 97 years old with no rust present to speak of so probably not to much of a problem

I’d use weird filaments cautiously and run strenght tests before I were to use one on my machine. They sure look cool, but from my experience at least a lot of them are weaker than just plain, boring regular PLAs.
My worst experiences were with copper PLA and an other aluminum looking PLA, Results were good looking but they really had no strenght at all.

Well too late now, all my parts are printed… i did print them beefer then recommend, 4 walls, alternating extra wall, and 55% infill… and i guess if they break i replace them 🤷

1 Like

I’ve always been a fan of more cartoonish color combinations.

My first MPCNC was pink and green. I also like yellow and orange, blue and purple. Someone did a purple and gold one that came out good.

1 Like