Best touch plate solution to date?

Don’t mean to revive an old topic but would something like this (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1799974) work if you put aluminum tape on the places that would be used to touch off?

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I think I will give it a try. I might even see if there are any filaments that have metal in them and would be conductive, as that might work too.

They make conductive filaments. Not sure if it would be enough though. Metal infused filament isn’t usually conductive. At least not uniformly.

I was thinking of just milling it out of wood since it’s one sided

This is mine - 0.6mm thick. Signal connected to the base, and the common is attached to the bit (croc clip).

Works perfectly

Also made a pen holder with a touch switch on it. That works fine too.

1 Like

Hi guys

How do you connect this to RAMBO? just like Z-min end stop? or there is another pins dedicated for this probe?

My build is kind of weird. I think the earth or neutral of the tool is connected to GND on the RAMBO, but currently I’m using just a connector to Z-min signal and I have no need to clamp the bit with the other connector. In fact If I do so, the steppers start to move like RAMBO is signaling them.

I think I will find an electronic circuit to isolate this. My other end stop are all mechanical.

I like this idea. It’s probably relatively straightforward to incorporate an opto-isolator with a AA battery and touch plate on the emitter side and the phototransistor side would connect to the Rambo or whichever controller. Then you would be completely safe from any weird stuff going on with the ground levels.

You could very easily 3d print a sprung ‘point’ that broke a slotted opto isolator such as the diagram attached (The required 0v, 5v and signal are all on your Z-Min terminals I believe).

Or just optically isolate the returning signal using a 4N38 opto-isolator if you were worried. Then if the returning ground signal was a bit ‘dirty’, you would still get a clean returning signal to the controller

p206_1_00.jpg