Bicycle parking signs for my children's kindergarten

My kids and I created signs for the kindergarten because they have ugly paper ones.

My eldest wrote the text, second drew one bike, third the other one. Only the smallest one didn’t do anything.

I made the starting layer for the engraving -1mm so I could run it through the planer to have a smooth epoxy finish without too much hassle. Worked great.

14 Likes

I love this connection between the kid’s drawings and the precision of the cnc and then it is cemented in epoxy. The abstract idea of a bike really gives a glimpse into how our brains work.

IDK about your kids but mine make so many drawings, it is hard to value them at all. But then a year goes by and their style totally changes. It’s very cool to make this record and share it with the school.

6 Likes

We are basically drowning in drawings. :smiley: The big one (7.5 years) has been drawing better than I do for at least 2 years now. :smiley:

3 Likes

That is a such a cool idea. It looks like it was drawn on there, but they will last so much longer than that.

2 Likes

You and your kids might enjoy this for a few minutes:

My 4yo is starting to read/write and she has a few words she is willing to try to spell, but then she drops into the zigzag up/down motion to make lines of text. It’s really fun to watch her think hard on what to write and then just //////. She goes through a ton of paper and tape. She will spend an hour a day, at least, on it. And she won’t let me throw any of it out (that she knows about, anyway).

4 Likes

Dude this was fun. I can’t wait to show the little ones this site.

It took me longer than I’d like to admit. Children drew it, then I scanned it, then Inkscape could not trace the bitmap because they used a coloured pencil, I had to export it to my iPad, trace the lines in Notability, exported as PDF, turned that with Inkscape into a dxf, edited in AutoCAD, could not open with Estlcam… It was really something… -_-

4 Likes

If you make it greyscale then whack the contrast high, you can force trace bitmap. Bit of cleanup to link pieces but quicker than drawing it again manually

I tried, didn’t work. :frowning:

> I had to export it to my iPad, trace the lines in Notability, exported as PDF, turned that with Inkscape into a dxf, edited in AutoCAD, could not open with Estlcam

And I’m willing to bet, before you started, you thought “yeah, getting their drawing into the CNC won’t be that complicated…” :slight_smile:

Yeah… :expressionless: It’s easier with pictures from the internet that weren’t drawn with coloured pencils… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But easier than cleaning sharpie marker off the dining room table :grimacing: don’t ask how i know​:upside_down_face: