BIG ASS MPCNC at 6' x 6' Yes, I wrote that.

Okay here’s why I need a 6 foot by 6-foot MPCNC table. I have a possible contract to cut foam board two inches thick but the pieces are 6’ x 6’.

Aside from the long lengths that will be supported every foot or two. The Z will only be cutting 6-foot circles and shaping on top and around the edges.

Normally I’d say no chance but it being foam board and having minor flaws being acceptable. I’m considering this job. Has anyone got advice on this?

I can cut half circles but it would be better to cut the whole circle and reduce a lot of set up time.

The Z would contour the top about 1" and bevel the edges.

While I’m at it, does anyone know someone good at drafting in Fusion 360? These aren’t complicated but I could use help making the drawings.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Like

do you even have a cutter than can extend that far down? It’s going to be closer to 7’ x 7’. Might be easier with a bandsaw and circle jig, router table and circle jig, etc.

If it's foam sheets (not foamboard/foamcore which has a paper facing), you could also imagine using a hot wire cutter.
1 Like

That’s going to make not square edges. At that length, close to 7 foot, the sag will cause the endmill to either point away from the center of the bed the whole circumference of the circle. It probably won’t be a lot, but if they have to stack, they won’t line up.

1 Like

No stacking and the edges will be beveled - It’s a putting green with fringe around the edge. That’s what I’m cutting

That’s an idea but cutting a circle accurately is a challenge. There are other parts too.

It’s just foam board, not paper. I’m thinking about using this to bevel the edge. It’s a putting green that I’m making. Just not sure how to set it up to cut the 2" edge to a rounded edge using a hot wire. This is what I’m making. See the pictures.

That’s an idea but cutting a circle accurately is a challenge. There are other parts too.

It’s just foam board, not paper. I’m thinking about using this to bevel the edge. It’s a putting green that I’m making. Just not sure how to set it up to cut the 2" edge to a rounded edge using a hot wire. This is what I’m making. See the pictures.

[attachment file=111001]
[attachment file=111000]

[attachment file=111006]
[attachment file=111005]

Most of my cuts are the 2 x 2 squares routered as the picture looks. The circle is a big issue. The edges are beveled so artificial turf lies over it so minor imperfections are okay. Thinking about a hot wire but how to cut a perfect circle. I’ll have to use a jig and I’m not sure how to make that… Hmmm[attachment file=111010]
[attachment file=111011]

I’m thinking I might be able to create the pattern molds and use expanding foam to fill the mold. The wire cutter might work here. Buying the foam material is $360.00 for a 4 x 8 sheet. The parts require 54 sheets minimum… $18,440 dollars, without the turf. Ain’t happening. Spray foam that expands, on the other hand, is a possibility.

The client had a sticker shock moment.

I’m good, I can do this with help from my friends in the special effects biz in Hollywood. Always great to have weird friends that make cool stuff on the cheap. They suggested several affordable solutions. I’ll make 4 - 3’ quarter pieces and glue them together to make the 6’ circle. Easy peasy. No mods to my MPCNC.

I’ll use pink foam to make my positive parts, then make a mold over them and make the parts using expandable foam with high density.

Not for the weak-hearted. lol

Does anyone think they can help me by creating a carving file from the picture? I need it to look like the [attachment file=111026]

Thanks everyone.

Mike

pictures 2 x 2 foot squares exactly like the pic. That would help me immensely. In the meantime, I’ll start trying to learn to make it in Fusion 360.

So they have about 1 1/2" overlap. Is the 24" the outside dimension, or the finished floor dimension?

Also, just use a hole saw for the circles? I mean, it’s some hand work, but simple is simpler.