Binder Jetting with MPCNC?

Hello,

has anyone from the MPCNC community converted his machine to use Binder Jetting 3D printing? Any info is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

like an old Zcorp or the 3D Systems?
Not sure how that would work.
Sounds interesting though.

1 Like

yes exactly, so far I have found only this project which is open source:

Any particular reason you want a powder printer?
The engineering behind them is definitely neat.
At work we started with a Zcorp printer (2005) then went on to a 3d systems pro 660pro (2015).
I am not a fan at all of that type of printing.

1 Like

I just want to experiment with different materials in the form of powder like pulverised minerals and more, such a system will give me this freedom. Is this possible with another CNC technology?

Well your looking at the right system for that.
A few years ago I found some videos on YouTube of guys that made power printers.
I know earlier forms of metal 3d printing use the same method for depositing a binder in metal powder then stinter to get the part to a solid usable state.

1 Like

The thing is you can’t really get there with the mpcnc design as it is. The table would need to lower and a roller would need to spread more powder.

2 Likes

Well you’ve got E0 and E1 available and just sitting there…

1 Like

yes I know it would need substantial modifications but I thought since I already have the CNC system it might be easier to modify it than following a Binder Jetting open source design from scratch.

Well your Z axis will move the bed down instead of moving a tool up and down.
Use E0 for a roller.
Its doable.
Good luck!

1 Like

Because the MP3DP raises Z instead of lowering the bed you are going to have to raise and lower whatever you are using to deposit the material at each level and you might run into issues with the outer edges crumbling away. Better would likely be a cube design with the bed lowering and the depositing gizmo staying at the same height. Take a look at the 3D printer Jeff is building in Random or off Topic for ideas. You will likely still need some way for the edges to stay put, but the rest of the implementation is going to be a lot easier.

1 Like