Biscuit Joint Slots - Can they be CNC'd?

I use Estlcam. Anyway to cut variable depth slots using it? Thanks in advance.

I am not sure what you are trying to do. If you have the hole profile (DXF, DWG, etc), you can set any depth you want.

It’s a varied depth hole to fit a U-ish shaped biscui @vicious1

2 Likes

It will probably need to be a 3d model or just a stepping curve in and out I have not tried that yet :thinking:

What is a stepping curve and how is it done?

I would make it in multiple rectangular steps downward each getting smaller or a pocket the is vertical

Oh…Interesting. That would be a cool use. The machine can easily do it, but setting up the CAM is going to be different. A 3D model would do it for sure, you would just have to futz with a it a bit to get it efficient.

Hmm I have to think about this a bit.

1 Like

Vcarve seems to be able to do it using these settings. Is there a ‘safe/working’ PP to use it with the mpcnc? I’m a little wary of going out of Estlcam for some reason.

@vicious1 @timonjkl

1 Like

Yes, there are a couple PP files folks are using, such as:

Marlin_mm-test5.zip (1.2 KB)

1 Like

Will try tomorrow and share outcome

2 Likes

I have used molding tool path settings just had not thought of the fluting tool path it for that before a good use should work perfectly

Amazing. Works flawlessly! @vicious1 @timonjkl @kcn

3 Likes

Used ramp at Start End, 100%, Smooth.

Start at surface, depth was just slightly over half the width of the biscuit.

1 Like

It is probably ok to cut cut it in a rectangle shape, right?

Next, someone should try dominoes.

1 Like

I can see where this would be useful if you’re cutting a large panel and want to put a bunch of biscuits in it. That’s pretty cool.

I finally added a biscuit joiner to my toolkit earlier this year when making a custom aquarium stand. I used one years ago on a project, but I had borrowed that one. I was happy to see I still knew where the leftover biscuits were.

I might have to try this out in the future.

1 Like

Thanks for verification of that :smiley: i will keep this in mind just never thought to use it that wall before i love it.

I tried the rectangle but it wouldn’t ramp at both ends, just at the start, no matter what settings. I didn’t have the right size endmill so I had to draw 2 lines to get the right thickness for the biscuit.

1 Like

Yeah perfect to help align and speed up assembly for larger projects.

1 Like

I was just meaining, you don’t have to have the american football shape. The slot can be constant thickness along the whole slot, and the biscuit would still fit. Or is that a huge problem for strength? IDK.

In most cases that works fine in some not so much as in corners for frames but that is a special circumstance