Bit shopping

Where does everyone get their bits from? I’m specifically curious about longer bits. Since I’m just starting out, I bought a cheap set of bits off Amazon. They have been fine so far. I also got a set of v bits from amazon. The problem with both sets (really the v bits) is how short they are. I was barely able to clear the bottom on the plate that holds the router with these bits. I would like to get some pretty long bits to be able to get through some maybe 1.5-2 inch stock. Is this asking too much of the lowrider and just bits in general? Either way, what are the typical material cut through limits and how long of a bit can I get?

Hmmm. I wonder how far up your router is sitting. I ended up scaling the little cone shaped piece to quash it a little, and I got it so the collet dipped just a little below the plate. That way the entire endmill was “available” if I needed.

@turbomacncheese are you talking about 3d printed dust collection piece? I thought about it doing something with that, as it seems to be holding the router much higher than it needs to be.

Yeah. The piece with the holes for the Leds. I don’t know exactly how it’s supposed to fit, and I just figured I screwed something up.

1.5-2" is a lot to ask. Especially for a 1/8" bit. The “standard” bit Ryan sells can’t cut 3/4".

A very long stick out is going to mean more flex, and the LR is going to have to be higher, which also reduces rigidity. So make sure you are getting the collet as low as you can. Even 1/4" is a big enough difference to think about.

If you haven’t already, you should get a few from the v1 shop, just to have a reference of what a good bit cuts like. Then you will at least know which cheap bits are not worth it.

1 Like

25 posts were split to a new topic: Site, Forum, Ryan - opinions and concerns

Uhhhhh… I’m gonna skip all the forum complaints because I didn’t and don’t have any issues so I can’t really understand what’s going on.

But I don’t see any responses to your LR2 concerns, so maybe I can offer an opinion there.
It seems like about half of the issues are builder related (cracking pla, table grooves, carve detail, gradually plunging Z, etc). Nothing Ryan can do about that because well-built LRs don’t have those problems.

Most of the rest are design choices (limit switches, single story tubes, dust chute). Remember that the goal is an affordable, easy to construct, ENTRY-LEVEL, full-sheet capable cnc that prioritizes through-cut parts for projects similar to flat-pack furniture. I have no doubt Ryan could design a top notch full sheet machine to rival anything you could want to design or build, but how many people would pay the requisite money and time to build it, and would it really be a unique machine in the market, solving a problem (like lowering the bar to entry)?

At least a couple notes are just confusing. Z ‘forgets’ to lift? How is that a design question? LED for cutting area? The recommended tool (DW611) has them built in, and the design has cutouts for them.

Ranting about what an advanced person you are while simultaneously griping about how you don’t understand this forum that very few people (if any) have difficulty navigating isn’t a good look, but also - in concert with your other posts - suggests you are a fairly confident and quite stubborn individual (not a criticism because, well, welcome to the club!). Makes me wonder if you’re just frustrated for some reason or whether you’ve already made up your mind. At least, those are the two states I’d imagine myself in at this point. So I’ll try.

If you want an affordable, entry level, diy machine, you won’t do better than the lowrider. Full stop. If you want a slightly more capable machine, you won’t do better than a modified lowrider, following perhaps some of the solutions others have used, maybe creating some of your own. I know at least one person has added somewhere in the neighborhood of $1200-1500 in parts and controls to have an EXTREMELY capable lowrider (if we can even call it that, anymore). If you want something else, just post your requirements and ask 1)if the lowrider is suitable, 2) if not, what modifications might help and 3)if none, do we know any machines that might work for you?

The people actively involved here on the forum are by-and-large incredibly smart and very experienced not only in diy cnc, but in engineering, manufacturing, networking, programming, and a whole host of other disciplines. I’d suggest (relying on my own experience) that if there is any difficulty communicating with them…it ain’t them.

3 Likes

Well, it’s them, for some of them.

It’s me. I’m them.

3 Likes