Bit slipping in collet

Last evening I switch my collect in my router and now my 1/8th bit wont hold steady. I’m pretty sure i have the collect in correctly, (theres only one ring, so… ) has anyone had this issue before ? Oh, it’s a spring collect by the way.

Might not actually be a 1/8" end mill? Could also have a chunk of crap stuck in there.

I thought so too, but I’ve measured both the bit and collet. Both are indeed 1/8 inch.

I encountered this unfortunately and it was a persistent slip. I tried a variety of things but my final solution was replacing the collet.

Before I quit in the old one I cleaned all of it, the collet, and the router threads, tightened the crap out of it but to no avail. No matter how tight the bit would drop out in just under a minute of run time. Not fun, I figured the first time it came loose, which may have been my fault buggered the collet irreparably.

Assuming this is the DW661 DWP611 router with the 1/8 collect from Ryan’s store…

I was very surprised to learn that it was sized such that a #30 drill bit (0.128") would not fit in it. That’s only .003" larger diameter than the spec’d .125" shaft diameter. I don’t know how much smaller than .125 they will go, but perhaps that is also only .003" (.122").

Can you (or did you) measure the bit shaft with calipers? Would be interesting to see if you get .125 or something just slightly smaller. For example, a common 3mm shaft would only be .118 - which may be out of the collet’s range.

The collet is a precision piece from a local shop here in town. I have returned the collet this morning and awaiting a response.

However, I do have a collet coming from Ryan today. Hopefully itll fit my 611.

1 Like

Assuming it was this one:

It should fit fine. I mistyped the model number of my router above - I have the DWP611 router and use that collet. Have not had any issues with 1/8" bits slipping.

Edit – my machine is a MPCNC not a LowRider - but I can’t image that would make any difference in this case…

Once you burn a collet too bad it will never hold again. Spinning a bit in there is grinding away at the surface. You will be fine with a replacement I bet.

Sure hope so. I’m two days behind on a client’s project. :slight_smile: luckily I still have till mid week to complete it.

I should have mentioned, yes mine was the 1/8" collet from elaire, and yes it was with a 611 router too. I got the collet from Ryan with my kit. Like Ryan mentioned I cooked mine, not sure what caused it to loosen the first time but it may have been my fault there, who knows. The bit size did come up when I was problem solving mine and the 1/8" bits I was using were slightly undersized and I used a caliper and found they were 3.08-3.10mm most of the time.

Still no word from the local shop. However, Ryan’s collet works perfectly.

2 Likes