Bit usage?

What? You don’t doing Chemistry in lbs and teaspoons?

Nope all metric, that is when I found out there is a very common US measurement called a slug, rod, and a peck.

I’m an engineer, but still had to take 2 years of Chemistry…

Not sure why. I haven’t had to measure a mole of anything since graduation…

Before I became a crew chief in the Air Force I was a weapons loader. My job was to install bombs, missiles, bullets, and their delivery systems on F-15E jet aircraft. In tech school they made us learn binary. Nothing I ever encountered required me to know binary. I’m a network engineer now, in theory I can use binary to calculate network subnets. I have an app on my phone that does it for me.

In my very first semester they had us find and interview an engineer. One of the first things out of his mouth was “Don’t get discouraged you will only need/use about 10% of what they want to cram in your head”, so very very true. It kind of became my mantra every semester at finals when I wanted to drop out.

But, how will you know which 10%?

I know I definitely forgot almost everything after each semester’s finals. I do need binary occasionally, but not chemistry, except that I get pedantic when someone complains about food with “chemicals” in it. Everything is a chemical!

Also, my bachelor’s was in Physics, and I use a lot less than 10% of that in my job. But I did learn how to solve problems that seemed to have no solution, which has really come in handy.

Sad thing is, I use Chemistry quite a bit. One of my other hobbies is a 120 gallon reef tank. I test the water on a weekly basis.

I use quite a bit of my degree. It’s in electrical engineering and I’m a Sr. Linux Admin for my profession. A lot of the programming carried over and general computer knowledge. I joked at an interview that if a server goes down, I can troubleshoot down to the resistor if I had to. I probably use the degree more in my hobbies than at work, though. I wrote my own reef controller and now I’m slowly working on a second version of it because I don’t like the first.

Dam, you guys all have some serious skills.

I freaking love this forum, now I know why. You all don;t just talk out of your ass, you actually know what the heck is going on. Never really hear dumb stuff in here, the FB group though…gotta watch those kids they will say anything.

Those kids, gotta watch out for em heheh. You’re right, everyone on here is smart! I have learned a lot from you guys

Having grown up around farms, and farmers, then middle of nowhere Alaska, I’ve picked up all kinds of weird skills. The shitty part is I don’t know if I can do something until I try it, but with my current job, that could be a really expensive discovery… Though because I do come from a strong mechanical background, I get put on most of the hardware install jobs. So while today was mostly a desktop support day, I did some Cisco switch reconfiguration, also vlans suck, but tomorrow I may be building a projector mount extension 40 feet off the ground. Some of my client’s make fun of my car because of all the tools I carry in the back.

While installing an access point.

Google Photos

While installing a camera.

Google Photos

Wired a Doctor’s house. We don’t usually do residential, but they’re a business client.

Google Photos

We installed around 50 cameras in this place. Some of those rolls of steel weigh around 40 tons!

Google Photos

I wish it was still that clean, and empty!

Google Photos