First of all, thanks go to the folks that put this together and worked on this before me. The table went together quite easily, but I know that it is because of the people that worked out the bugs.
I picked up a Hemnes table (the square one) from Ikea.
I then printed the parts and after partially assembled the table top, I figured for a 19”x21” opening with a 20”x22” tempered glass top.
I make an easy file for the Maslow and after some angst at the thought of screwing up a $150 table top, I pressed “go” . The cut went well, although you can see a scratch in the lower left corner where I accidentally drug the router bit across the face because I forgot to raise the bit to home in the center.
I built a 1/2” space between the table and the sand platform and wrapped a led strip around it. The leds look more bluish than they are, they are a cool white, and it’s something that I had around, maybe I should have ordered some warm white leds, but that point is past now. The rest of the build is boring to explain, but I did have to play around with the motor connectors to get both motors to go in the correct direction.
I used baking soda as recommended, but I’m not sure how happy I am with that. Even new, the soda was clumpy and would streak when trying to spread it smoothly. I tried to crush out the clumps the best that I could, but there is always more. Since the table will not fit through my workshop door upright, I will get to experiment more with the medium, I might try sugar sand, or process the baking soda more before adding it to the table. I will say that I like the smooth trails the ball makes through the baking soda. I had ordered a 1/2 ball bearing from the store, and they sent a slightly smaller one in addition for free, I think I might like the smaller ball better.
This was a wonderful project and was super easy to build, thanks again to the Creators.