Box with bit trays

One of the first things I made when I got into CNC was a place to keep my cutters safe and organised. I thought I should share the making of album and finished product album, to inspire others to make their own.

I don’t like bit trays with sharp points sticking up because I am always scratching myself on them. So I designed this with them all lying flat. I did it in Fusion360 from a lightbox photo of my bits.

Here is the Making Of album:

As you will see, this was made on a Handibot, not an MPCNC. It is the biggest thing one can make with that otherwise excellent machine.

Here is the Finished Product album. I now have three trays full of bits stacked perfectly in this box.

14 Likes

Very nice work, and a fun creative take with the acrylic on what could have been just-an-another-box.

On the build side:

• I like the light-box idea for designing accurate insets, and could have used that (instead of tons of caliper work) when making fitted kitchen drawer insets.
  • I’m in awe that your hinges are staying in that super-thin lid: the screws look they’re the same thickness as the material!
1 Like

Thanks!

You can see in the Making Of photos it took some refining of the pockets for them all to fit.

The hinges I also strengthened with CA glue, so those tiny threads aren’t taking all the load. The blu tack was holding them at just the right position while the glue set.

1 Like

> The hinges I also strengthened with CA glue, so those tiny threads aren’t taking all the load. The blu tack was holding them at just the right position while the glue set.