Build log. Research time: 72+ hours. Make time: :30

On this page:

https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/wiring-the-steppers/

The link: “this wiring kit”

I tried with one additional swap compared to that external diagram, but the steppers responded with sound but no movement. Sounded like they were fighting themselves. Edit: to be clear, at this point the belts were not on, so it was not the case that they were trying to move the gantry in opposite directions or anything.

Sounds like I could have swapped the first swap back before swapping the second swap. Swap swap. Swap. Swap. Unswap. Swap. I don’t see how that’s confusing?!

1 Like

The promised and truly essential vid of wires-everywhere first job being completed. And it has to be the logo of course.

I’ve finished tidying, braiding and routing the wiring now, so photos to follow of version 1.0.

A follow-up comment from me having built the thing. I liked the design before I assembled, but I like it a lot more now. Even without the tension bolts and belts dialed in, it’s a very solid machine, and assembling it leads you to understand why that’s the case. So just one more thanks and kudos to Ryan!

1 Like

Nice vid, that drawing turned out really nice as well.

Thanks for the compliments, I know some people hate assembling things but I feel it is really important for this machine to have a little deeper understanding. Glad your liked the build process (or at least didn’t hate it).

Well I did make a cut a couple of weeks back, but things have stalled.

I have the Katsu trim router as mentioned, a clone of Makita. From the start I’ve been interested in dust collection because my workspace is multi function and I spend a lot of time in there.

The issue is that the air cooling on this router pushes air from ducts behind the collet straight on to the work piece. I stood there with the shop vac pointed at the thing, but the dust was all over the work shop and none in the vac. This confused my until I noticed the force of air flow coming out of the router, pushing the dust into a big cloud.

Damn.

So I think to progress I’ll need start looking at dust shoe options.

James,
If its ok I may have to talk to you at some stage. I’m just about to pay the charges to get to get my extruder & wiring harness.

So I’m about to start wiring mine up, including the ramps etc.

Sure, give me a shout if I can help.