This is still very much a work in progress, and I’m eagerly waiting on the new middle that Ryan is working on before doing any reprinting.
But here’s some quick and dirty shots:
One nearly full view, one of the gantry, one showing my lashed in Marker pen and one of an initial 100mm square drawn.
The good news is that the square appears to be dead on 100mm at least within the limits of a squished magic marker pen. And I did another couple of runs that showed perfect repeatability. Even with some remaining bearing clearance on part of the middle assy due to some warping of a couple of the printed parts.
Also I did one square with diagonals drawn from corner to corner and they appear to cross at the exact center, so I think I have things pretty well squared up.
I still have a lot of cleanup, need to print a box for the controller, mount the controller and power supply, add the emergency stop button, and add some legs to the frame. Then move the CNC to where I can run it and of course get my router on its way so I can try some more serious tests.
But I’m happy to see that it is appearing to be pretty darn accurate at this point.
I have hard end stops in place so it runs the homing cycle with no problems, and I set soft limits in GRBL v 0.9 so it should never hit the hard stops, but if it does they are there. I know that the machine won’t tear itself apart if it didn’t have the hard stops in place but I just like the fact that it won’t be banging against the frame if I screw up. Maybe eventually I’ll take the stops off, but for now they are working well.
Also after I get some experience with this size I plan on building a slightly larger one in the near future.