Calipers to Illustrator to ESTLCam - my 10 year old daughter!

Pier One is shutting down it’s Canadian stores so my daughters and I went in to peruse the “nothing held back” offerings and to bid farewell to one of our all time favourite past times - finding the shelf with the most sparkles, palming them up and the fast walk chasing each other around the store trying to face wash each other with sparkles. There was NEVER a season in Pier One where you couldn’t find SOMETHING all coated in sparkles. Christmas time obviously wins the sparkle ribbon but we never find a season that was sparkle-free so we always left a little more sparkly than we entered.

Anyway, we found these mini cloche domes for a buck a piece (think cake dome, but shrink it down and then stretch it tall so like you could put a rose or something inside it). I let the kids each buy an assortment of them to make crafty gifts or whatever out of them. Thing is, they need some sort of base really so tonight I taught my 10 year old how to measure, prepare art and CAM it for the MPCNC. She did it all including figuring out how to use the same artwork to generate three different styles of bases so we could choose which we thought was the nicest (the groove version won…the leftmost one in the pics).

Pretty awesome watching these little ones grow and learn. Our next project together is designing and building an indoor/outdoor, wireless Arduino weather station. I’ll let her cam those components too!

MPCNC - Bonding Dads and Daughters Since (insert year here)

10 Likes

A couple months ago I tried to walk my daughter through the process of loading artwork in estlcam and cutting on the robot but I don’t think she understood much. I think it would be a great bonding opportunity so I’ll keep trying. She’s almost 3.

9 Likes

Ha! How’d you keep her from putting the SD card in her mouth?

4 Likes

That’s an awesome story…keep 'em coming!

3 Likes

That is a perfect use of a CNC. Bonding time, a little education to introduce a new tool, then some safety gear, and booom…a momento!

2 Likes

I’m planning to let my 5 y.o. son make a door sign for his room. Your story reminds and inspires me, thank you!

6 Likes

Great idea!

Good question. My 6 yo still does this :confused:

My kids still show little interest in my hobbies. My son did watch me design something in CAD to replace a part of one of his toys he lost. After the 3d printer spit out the part I took it to him… He looked at it a moment and goes, “Wait! Is this the part I helped you do?”. I said yes. The look on his face tells me he’s starting to understand some of the fun that can be had.

4 Likes