Can Depth Rings Be Moved?

Hello! I’ve just started in this hobby and had a question regarding end mill depth rings. I purchased the end mill kit from the V1 Engineering store and most came with depth rings installed. Can these be moved or removed or are they fixed in place? I’ve tried looking up depth rings online and posts in the forum and can’t figure out if they are supposed to move. I’ve tried fairly hard to move the ring, but it won’t budge.

Thanks!

I remove mine. I’m not using an automated tool changer, and am willing to re-home for different tools.

I still have some with the rings on, but the ones that I use most often I remove them to have as much usable depth as possible.

2 Likes

How do you remove yours? I tried using pliers to get it off while trying to be careful with the end mill blades by using a towel to grab it, but I can’t get the ring to come off. Could these be glued on or just really on there?

They’re really tight.

I have a 3D printed piece. It’s a tube with a 5mm hole in the center, 15mm in diameter, 40mm high. I put the mill collet side down, put the tube over it, then whack it with a mallet. I remove it the last 3mm or so with pliers.

I used to cut it with a pair of flush cutters., but that takes more time, and is annoying if you don’t get it right against the shank.

Ok. Thank you! That makes me feel better for not getting it off. Would you be willing to share the stl file for your jig if you have it?

I might have the STL, but it’s a standard TinkerCad tube. 7.5mm radius 5mm wall, length 40. (Or maybe I did it as 2 cylinders.)

Printed with thick layers at 100% infill. Probably easier now if I just used a reusable aluminum straw…

1 Like

The straw is a good idea! Thank you again. I can certainly Tinkercad-up a model.

1 Like

FYI, for anyone else who may see this in the future, I decided to not over-engineer this. I just drilled a 1/8 in. hole in a scrap 2x4, put the bit in up to the depth stop, then used a second piece of scrap 2x4 and pushed the bit through the depth stop. It came out nice and easy that way.

Thanks again for the help.

1 Like