Can I save updated XYZ configuration settings?

I was having issues with scaling where I was getting a 320mm line when attempting to draw one 200mm long. I was able to determine that I needed to set the change the number of steps/mm from 80 to 50 for both the X and Y axis. The Z axis value changed from 80 to 200. I’m currently using the M92 command set these values each time I load a g-file, and it works. If I attempt to use the M500 command to save the setting, but get an error indicating that the eeprom must be enabled before that is possible. How does one go about enabling the eeprom on a SKR-PRO-V1.2 board. Note that I’m using a Raspberry Pi 3B+ running Jeffeb3’s recommended code (piv1 / JSCNC) for the Lowrider2 to do all of this.

As always, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

To enable EEPROM, there is a setting in Marlin in the Configuration.h #define EEPROM_SETTINGS or something similar. Where did you get the firmware? That should have been enabled in our builds.

Do you know why you are having those odd steps/mm values? 50 sounds like 1/8th microstepping (and it should have been 100, not 80). 200 also sounds like 1/8th microstepping on a T8 4 start (again, 80 is a weird starting place).

Everything I’ve used or have obtained has been through the site or came with the kit I bought through the site.

The numbers were returned when I used the M503 command. The returned value did allow me to use it to obtain the new value, which worked perfectly when I used it the first time.

Do you see a version somewhere? It should be something like 427 or something similar.

It should be easy to get this fixed on the skr boards though. What machine do you have and is it wired in series or dual?

@vicious1 should suggest how we move forward. We could do 505 or is he has a firmware.bin he’d prefer from the 427 range, that might be lower risk.

Hate to sound clueless here, but I am! Where would I find the version number and how would I get to the SD card on the driver board from either ssh or through the CNCjc app, which is at 1.9.20 btw.

Just did an M503 and got the following. These are the same values I initially go back, since I can’t update them. Hope they help…

Lowrider2. Series. No end stops.

That is funky firmware. It shouldn’t be 115200, eeprom should be enabled, and those steps/mm are wrong.

Hmmm. We’ll wait from Ryan. I’d like to send you to the new builds. But I bet he has the file that is supposed to be on there ready to go, and you won’t be on the bleeding edge.

He will give you a firmware.bin file. You just put it on a microsd card and put the card in the skr. Repower the skr and it will flash the firmware in about 5 seconds. Then you can look at the microsd and it will have a firmware.cur, and not the bin. That means it worked.

I think the version can be seen with M115. But it doesn’t matter. That isn’t Ryan’s firmware. When you get the new firmware, it will be at 250k and should have the right steps/mm.

I’ll be standing by.

In the mean time, can the SKR-PRO-V1.2 be run without the SD card being plugged in? Not that I want to do that, it’s just something I was wondering. I’m assuming (dangerous I know) that it has to be plugged in all the time. I just took a real quick look at the driver board (skr-pro) and didn’t see an eeprom on it. This makes me wonder if the SD card is being called the eeprom or if there is an eeprom embedded in the controller chip on the driver board. Inquiring minds want to know these kinds of things… :slight_smile:

If you’re going to edit the firmware to enable the EEPROM, it seems to me you might as well put the proper motion values in at the same time. Then you can play around with changes and use the menu “restore failsafes” to get back to the baseline settings.

That is odd. I flash and actually test every SKR I ship right now (except the first two). I have no idea how you have a non-V1 flash.

I tested some firmware yesterday, the 505 should be fine. Or maybe we even bump to 506 soon.

Kenh, here are instructions and a link to the 505 (or newer) we are talking about. https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/skrpro/#firmware

Heffe, on the side… the TFT is still pretty funky. I had issues trying to change the feedrate while it was running and if you stop it defaults to continue gcode which I did not notice and crashed the machine. I have notes. For now I am kinda think we should enable the old display as default. The TFT kills all steppers when complete, and you guys just convinced me to leave them enabled.

Ryan, with the system powered down, I pulled the SD card (the only time I’ve done this), put it on my Windows 10 PC and did a ‘dir’ on the drive (E). Here is what I saw. The installed SD card is a MicroSD brand SD card and it is 128MB.

Since this is a small file, I’m going to copy it some place safe and copy the downloaded file to this SD card and put it back into the SKR-PRO-V1.2 board and power it up.

All that is normal, nothing special about that file no need to save it. The power up and flash takes seconds, you should be good to go after a reset.

The skr doesn’t need the sd card in to run. The eeprom is in the main processor, I believe.

Well, I tried a couple of things that didn’t work. Firstly, I downloaded V1CNC_SkrPro_2209-2.0.6.1-src.zip as instructed. Then I extracted the firmware_V1CNC_SkrPro_2.0.6.1_505.bin file and copied it to a blank SD card. The first SD card being the one the original file came on (128MB). Late yesterday afternoon, I plugged this SD card into the SKR-PRO board and powered it up. I waited about 30 seconds, powered the SKR-PRO board down and removed the SD card. I then looked at the SD card on my PC and the .bin extension had not changed to .CUR. I’m guessing that’s an indication that it didn’t get loaded.

Next I reapplied power to the SKR-PRO and my Raspberry Pi and entered an M503 (Return Settings) command and sure enough, none of the settings had changed. I powered the SKR-PRO down and reinstalled the SD card, powered it back up and tried a M501 (Restore Settings), which didn’t appear to be a command that works on this board. Next I tried the M502 (Factory Reset). A group of settings and values were displayed after entering the command. Still, there were no changes in the settings when I read them back with the M503 command.

This morning I used a different SD card (8GB) and copied the firmware_V1CNC_SkrPro_2209_2.0.6.1_505.bin file to it. The SD card was freshly formatted and clear of any other files. Again, I installed the card with power removed from the SKR-PRO board. Then I applied power and waited 60 seconds this time before removing power. I then removed the SD card and checked it on my PC. Again the name of the file had not changed. Then I went back and ran the M503 command and here again, none of the numbers had changed.

When I do a Factory Reset, a set of numbers is displayed and the 80s appear in all fields (X,Y,Z,E).

Jeff, sorry I forgot to attempt the M115 command to get Firmware Info.

Tom, your suggestion is filed in memory for possible use later. The M50X commands were apparently created to keep us from having to recompile code to save changes such as these. Of course it requires that the hardware and software are willing to play together nicely. I’m guessing time will tell if Ryan or Jeff will entice them to do this. :slight_smile:

You need to rename it “FIRMWARE.bin”
https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/skrpro/#skr-bin

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, life happens.

Changing the file name worked, just as the instructions said it would, if I’d reread them!

Checked and everything seems to be right on the money. Ordered some small bits this weekend and am planning to build a 1/10 scale picnic table using a piece of door skin as my first test. The thickness of the specified wood on the project (obtained online) is 1 1/4" and the thickness of the door skin is 1/8" so that works out to be 10X smaller. If it works (or if it doesn’t) I post a picture here later.

Still need to do a couple of final things, like connecting the shop vac and it should be time to start making some dust. Love that saying by the way. :slightly_smiling_face:

My friends who are tracking my progress on the project are extremely impressed with the level of support you guys have provided. I’m hoping that this will lead to business being sent your way in the long run.

Thanks again. Your support sells the product!!!

4 Likes

What’s holding up the commission checks?!? :money_with_wings: :rofl:

1 Like

The community sells the product, I do my best to support everyone but dammed if the shipping, ordering,receiving, R&D doesn’t take up most the time. I prefer to hang out in the forums more than I have been. I do get irritated by the forums sometimes but for the most part there are way more cool interesting things going on than questions asked for the millionth time. Glad your sticking around…if your friends are reading this… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: we all have CNC’s and you don’t!!!

4 Likes