Can not upload firmware to arduino mega

Hello Everyone, I am very excite to be building a the Primo, I was trying to upload the firmware today and it seems as though Arduino IDE will not communicate with my mega 2560??? I keep on getting a time out message. I was initially going to use GRBL and thought that I might be doing something wrong so then I tried the V1 marlin and followed the directions to the letter and all goes well but it will not go onto the arduino.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Dean,

Have you used the Arduino IDE in the past? One of the things I encountered was the need to identify the correct port for the Mega. On some of the Arduino devices the port is only visible when the board is plugged in, or in bootload mode. When I see a timeout, it usually means I have the wrong port selected.

Plug in the Mega, open the IDE, click Tools,Port and you should see the port number. To verify the port, unplug the Mega and see which one disappears. That’s the one you need to have selected when you are trying to upload the firmware.

You system should assign the same port each time you plug in the Mega.

I hope that helps, keep asking if it doesn’t.

Mike B.

I think the Marlin folder structure has gotten too long for the arduino ide to handle, at least on Windows. The compile command that gets built and executed ends up being too many characters. You might consider switching to platformio.

It all goes well and compiles fine it just will not load on the board. I’m pretty sure I have a bad board. On my Mac at home it doesn’t show any ports when I plug the USB in. On my pc at work I can select from three different com ports. If I select them and then use tools and get board info I just get —“ native serial port, can’t obtain info”. I’m assuming it should bring up some board info!?

It sounds like a bad mega.

i had same issue, then i tried to unplug and plug to another usb port and worked, upload succesful.

Do you have a USB to serial adapter? If so, you can try to program it via serial: arduino mega - Programming an ATMEGA2560 using FTDI - Arduino Stack Exchange

It can also be that the bootloader is missing or corrupt. You could also try to burn the bootloader using another arduino.

If it isn’t recognizing the port, then it is probably the ftdi chip, and not the bootloader.

I don’t think so either, but it does not hurt trying. That’s why I sugested the first: program with an USB-Serial, which, by the way, can also be done with an Arduino.

Thanks for everyone’s reply. I appreciate them all. I ordered a new board that is supposed to be here on Monday. We will see how that goes!

Got a new board this morning and as soon as it’s plugged in via USB it is recognized. Thanks all for your help