Can the LowRider2 be easily be disassemble for storage?

Was wondering if the lowrider can easily be partially disassemble off the table for storage

If you build it that way :slight_smile: I have also seen people do fold up tables

1 Like

I built my LR2 in Colorado, then got transferred to Maryland. It was a bummer, I had just completed my pen calibration and was looking forward to getting started cutting stuff.
I used my portable tool boxes and foam to pack the cutter. If I were to do it again, now that I have rebuilt my LR2, I would have labeled the wires better. As I put it together again I mixed my wires and had to run more diagnostics to get them right.
I think the best way to move it off, would be to find some cart that you could transfer it into to keep it all together. The amount of calibration and such after returning it together isn’t fun.
Some will say to try to rig it so you can lift it off the table. I’d explore that idea further. If you have ceiling height to store it, I’m sure there’s a way to set up a rigging to accomplish it.

Danny,

I’m trying to do the same thing with mine. The machine is just about built , now I’m trying to fit a 5x10 table into my 2 car garage with 2 cars in it :slight_smile:

My plan as of today though it changes is to lift the LR itself sans the table between the 2 garage doors with a bike lift from harbor freight. The belt will stay with the LR so I dont have to rethread each time. I’m thinking about using pins to hold the belt to fixed brackets on the table for ease of setup.

I’m going to try and make the table break down into 2 rails and a collection of slats (like a bed) for easy storage but I’m not at all certain how much tuning the setup process is going to take to get it square and flat.

I’d be happy to bounce around ideas in this thread as it looks like we are working towards a common goal.

My original intention of my LR was to have the table leaves that would connect together to make a full sized LR. But I never finished it. And I haven’t really wanted a full sheet.

1 Like

How rigid does the table top has to be? I’m thinking the simple route, using a 3/4 4x8 sheet and put it on top of one of those lifetime folding table.

I think you at least need rails for holding the belts and probably a couple of cross pieces so it doesn’t sag as most of those tables are like 32 inches deep.

The question is going to be how good is good enough.

i think if your putting one in a garage and have very little room, i would buy a winch (or build a pully system?) and put folding legs (or detachable) on the table top (lots of people have used saw horse legs for the LR) then affix lifting points at the corners and use the winch to just lift the whole thing up to the ceiling of the garage and out of the way. if you set it up right, you should be able to get the whole gantry of the LR to fit between the ceiling joists so it should only stick out below the ceiling the depth of the table.

that way when you wanted to use it there would be no real set up, just lower the CNC and put out the legs. putting it away would be almost as easy. not the cheapest solution (winches are expensive) but it would be a great way to do it.