Cannot init SD Card

You just move the tool within 12" of the home before you home.

It needs to be set to something in the firmware. We chose 300mm arbitrarily. We just changed it to 600mm, but we haven’t released that change yet.

The reason for this limit is that without it, if you have a problem with your endstops, the machine will try to move 300mm/600mm past the endstops before quitting.

Unfortunately, it isn’t something you can change in gcode. But if you want your machine size in the firmware, then you can change BED_SIZE and recompile it.

This is getting pretty off topic though. Feel free to open another topic to debug your issues.

1 Like

Anything on the sd init error yet? I really hate to have to use my laptop to run this in the dusty conditions

1 Like

Did you try the previous firmware release?

I had some time this morning. I tested a few previous versions of firmware. No luck. Best I can figure is a bad board.

Since I do not have any Rambo’s in stock, and won’t for a while we have a couple options. I can take it back and refund you, or I can try to get a direct swap from Utimachine. Let me know what you prefer and your order number so I have all your info.

Yeah I tried the firmware too same issue, is it possible it could be the screens? I really like the layout of the board and would like to have the same one My order number is 15472

Ok weird thing happened tonight, I turned it on just to move the axis to the back so I could use the workspace for a project and no more SD init error. I unplugged and removed the memory card a few times and no issue. What could of changed?

Oh man. :man_shrugging:

Well dang. I have no idea, and I have to try that. This whole problem is an odd one.

Let me know if there are any other issues.

Only thing I know is my workshop was cold lol as I had not been in there for a few days and it’s in single digits here so probably 30-40 in shop

So it’s a random thing, tonight it has the error again. Maybe I’ll let it get cold in here again and see if that is a factor. @vicious1 have you tried the screen you had the problem with on a different brand board? Just wondering what the possibility of it being the screen or card slot.

Ok scratch my last thought I am just the FNG here trying to figure it out and help lol. So I tried a micro sd card in an adapter and reads fine every time, put any full size sd card in and error. I can read the gcode files now off anyone of my micro sd. Hope this helps everyone

I had mixed results with different SD cards. I had an ancient 7 year-old SD card that would initialize, and the machine could apparently read. However, during the cut, the cutter started carving randomly all over the work - destroying it. Reading the very same GCODE file from the computer, off the very same SD card and printing over the USB cable produced a quality cut. If you can do with shorter ribbon cables, I would shorten them as much as you can tolerate. These ends are cheap and fairly easy to press-on. A vice is a great way to press them with even pressure.

We tried several screens and several SD cards, it is the Rambo. I found the same thing. I had a card that would work and several that would not. What did make all the cards work again was shorter LCD cables. The LCD’s come with ~30 cm cables normally, but I have them specially made with 65 cm. That was as long as we were able to go previously before getting errors.

Not sure why these two boards are doing this. I am confident Jeff’s link would solve your problem. If you want to try it out let me know, and I will issue a refund to cover the cost of a pack. On my end I will keep tinkering with the board I have here, and get a pack of those ends in case any more funky boards pop up.

Added the short cables and no longer get the errors with any SD card. I saved some .nc files to a card and am unable to read any files. Just wondering if it is able to read .nc or do I need to do anything else. To get this to work. I am completely new to all this and all the GitHub, control programs and all this programming confuse me but am trying to learn it so I can pass it on to my son who loves watching these cnc machines work

Save the files as “.gcode” you can just rename them.

Hey @vicious1, how do I save them as gcode? That’s the option in easel to export gcode but always comes out .nc, seriously I am new to all this side of cnc and you all are helping a lot (when not talking over my head) :joy:

Just right click, rename, and change it to .gcode. They are the same format.

1 Like

Thanks @jeffeb3 that worked and rand my test square around the work area now to find a tool to mount the only thing I can find easily is the Makita. You all are awesome, I am learning here thanks to you all.

1 Like

Well, feeling a bit miffed right now.

#define SD_SPI_SPEED SPI_HALF_SPEED

Seems to do the trick. My old cards seemed to work 90% of the time the newer 8gb cards failed 95% of the time. With the spi turned down I have not seen the issue. I wonder if this will affect (effect?) the laser speed tests from before.

Okay so the bugfix and the current release are actually defining this setting differently. So I am not sure if my PR will work. Check back in the morning.

1 Like