Canoe!

That tool path looks like a miniature! The rest already looks like a fun boat.

Canoe is glassed with three thin coats of epoxy. The keel has an extra layer of fiberglass didn’t fully wet out or many tiny air bubbles as it is a bit of an eyesore. However, pushing forward while learning along the way. Waiting for three to five days then will sand and apply varnish to exterior. Interior will be glassed in the center and fully epoxied too.

5 Likes

You’re only going to put glass in the center?

I’m copying what the guy in the video did. It will be a light duty canoe so any weight savings is welcome.

1 Like

Makes sense.

We built a small sailboat when I was in highschool. We glassed the entire inside of the boat with lightweight fabric.

Hey some notes from fellow boat builder. I like this project!

Forgive me if you have already come across this:

Okoume is a lot easier to bend than brittle meranti or baltic! Super light.

baltic will rot fast if penetrated with water. it is not really mean for marine use. the glues and voids are problematic. seal it really really good. it is also quite heavy.

West system has a scarfing jig for a circular saw. Scarffer • Circular Saw Attachement • WEST SYSTEM Epoxy

i think your inclination on going with scarf over puzzle was correct.

epifanes is a great final protection on epoxy (i use their products on everything outdoor now!). it is pleasant to apply…even west system 207 clear will need a barrier to prevent yellowing.

2 Likes

Yes, I have read about all that you mentioned, but I must say thanks for taking the time to post it here. Most of what you wrote will make this whole process much more convenient and the end result much longer lasting. I plan on purchasing the scarfing jig for my next boat build (cocktail racer).

2 Likes

can’t wait to see that!

I wanted to build a crackerbox when I was younger. All these talks of boats is wanting me to start a build of my own. Too many projects.

1 Like

Water test was successful. The canoe glides effortlessly through the water. Far more responsive than the plastic canoe I have.

13 Likes

:partying_face:

Congrats, that is super cool.

1 Like

This is awesome! I still have a half built boat… in the corner of my living room lol

stunning.