Can't Connect Board to Repetier Host

Hey guys,
A while ago, I had my machine up and running and was working alright. I had to take a break (to have a baby!) and am now back trying to get it going again a few months later. I have an older computer I had to use instead this time and had to re-download all the stuff, so I have as far as I know. I have downloaded the Arduino drivers, Estlcam and Repeteir-Host. I went through and changed all the settings according to Ryan’s pictures as before. As far as I know, everything looks good there.

But… I try to connect my board (everything was bought from V1) via the usb port and I’m getting an error on Repetier that says, “The connection failed with the following error: The parameter is incorrect. Make sure your printer is connected, enabled and connection data is set correct. Open printer settings?”

I have the baud rate set to 250000 and have tried all the options I can for the connection. I believe it used to be one of the com ones… I’m getting the same error every time. I don’t get it. Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Thanks in advance for any ideas! I really want to get it going again!

Congrats with baby!
Is it possible that you also installed repetier server? Sometimes it sneaks along and causes all sorts of mischief.
Another option is to try the CNC.js. It works great IMO, can even run on an RPI (V1PI) - I recommend it warmly.

Thank you! He’s a sweet boy!

The first time I installed it, I unchecked the repetier server option in the install, but when things wouldn’t connect, I second guessed myself and reinstalled with it in case it needed to run in the background or something… same notification with both options.

Did you try CNC.js?

I was just coming back to ask you about that. Sorry I didn’t think to follow up on the first post! I am a total noob when it comes to a lot of the computer stuff these days, but upon looking it up briefly, it looks like a system that would run similar to repetier host as an alternative. Is this correct? Would I still be able to upload my programs from Estlcam?

No worries! Yes, you connect the computer using USB, and run the CNCjs server. Then you access it through a web-browser. Works like a charm! If you have an old laptop/computer, you can use it as a server for the CNC, or even better - get an Raspberry PI and hook it up permanently.

1 Like

Funny you should bring this up. My husband actually has a pi lying around here somewhere (as a lady, I can totally say, what an adorable little computer. :joy:). I’ll have to look into doing that!
I’ll take a shot at using CNCjs today on my regular computer and report back later. Thanks!

Whatch out for those pi’s - they’re addictive! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can also try cncjs as a desktop application and you run it just like repetier host from your windows/mac/linux machine.

2 Likes

Thank you both for your suggestions! This worked beautifully and I really like the interface of the program! I did a pen test of my project (it’s going to be a license plate for the front of our old/new to us truck. The previous owner called her “Little Red”, so I thought it would be a good tribute to have it on the plate! and The pen testcame out great! Got the router hooked up and realized after it chewed through the aluminum plate that I started it too deep. Hopefully I can get it right soon! IMG_20200907_180547|375x500

2 Likes

I bet they are!

1 Like