Can't get Ramps to connect to lcd or repetier-host

I’m sure you’ve tried this before but just in case… Have you tried flashing it straight after a computer restart? Most of the time, if a program is using up your com ports, they will be freed up after a restart, unless there’s a program in your startup and takes over your port as soon as you reboot.

I agree with John. The LED’s have no significance. Windows 10 should not have any issues but to hear you are on COM 10 leads me to believe something is fishy with your computer. Do you have another you can try?

I tried doing what John said, but to no avail. I changed to COM 2, and I have tried on two different Computers. Getting late here, so I will get back to googling tomorrow.

You have to use the correct com port, you can look in the device manager to know for sure, what I am getting at is what the heck is taking up the other 7 or so com ports? Windows for me only usually reserves com1 and com2.

What exactly did you try on the other two computers? Can you give me the exact steps you are using, I think you might be missing a step.

Okay, so my steps were: install Arduino and Repetier Host, change settings exectly like the pictures on your pics in the rh tutorial, try connectinf, no signal, try a bunch of baud rates, check the com port in device manager, still no signal, open arduino, change board, processor and COM port, load your marlin software, upload, after saying upload for a while I get the error message, try a couple things (with/without external power, reset button, changing settings) I do think that is all steps i take :slight_smile:

Just try with another Arduino, sometimes those things just die for no apparent reason.

I do not have Another arduino and I cannot afford one right now.

Well, I would like to try fixing this board, but if I have to buy a new one I have found one that is cheap (around 20 dollars) but it isn’t a real arduino, only an “Arduino Mega Compitable ATMega2560 16A R3”. Would this work or are there any downsides? It probably is an issue with the Arduino as it doesn’t work both when the ramps is plugged in and when it’s not.

Some (most) of the cheaper boards use a different chip for the USB connection. They require a different driver and don’t look the same to Device Manager.

With Device Manager open and the COM ports expanded, unplug the Arduino and see which port disappears. Plug it back in and verify it’s the same port that reappears. Windows keeps track of all the different COM devices you use, and reserves the COM number for each so it’ll be the same the next time you plug that one back in. That’s how you can end up with a high COM number.

Now that you know for sure which COM is the Arduino, set Repetier-Host to use that port and set the speed to 250000. Ask R-H to connect and see if it responds by saying it’s connected. If it doesn’t connect it could be a bad USB cable, a bad Arduino or a bad USB port. Most likely is the cable.

If you have a corrupted image on the Arduino launch the IDE, set the port and speed and try reflashing again.

I’m betting it’s the cable… :slight_smile:

I’ve bought and used maybe 30 Arduino (Uno, mega, pro mini, whatever), never had a “real” one.

If they work the first time (which is the case 95 times out of 100), then they are pretty reliable and work fine.

Just buy the cheapest you can find, no big deal.

It’s likely not the cable as I’ve tried 3 different ones on two different computers. It’s most probably something with the arduino as it barely reacts to anything. I am probably going to buy that cheap one, 20 bucks isn’t too much, and I’d really like to see the machine moving. Thank you for trying to help me, everyone :slight_smile:

The new card works! It was much easier spending 15$ to buy a new card, and it works. Thanks everyone for trying to help me! Now to figure out what to do with a broken arduino…

Another small question, now that Ive fixed it, i dont want it to break would I? There was no guide for this so i looked at photos to see, but this is how the external electricity should be wired, right? I’m no pro at these things.

Should be good.

Yup good to go.

https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/ramps-wiring/