Canuck MP3DP

The stock (Not stock marlin, my stock) settings should be pretty close, every time you run it it will be different. Super easy to do. Then just change the three values in the firmware and reupload. It is nice to do but I doubt you will see any drastic difference. You can watch the temp graph in REpetier host to see if you have any major overshoot or oscillation.

Yeah, wouldnt worrie about it. As its the one issue i didnt have setting mine up.

Is this the right calculation for determining the current rate(Amps) on the drivers? I want to set my extruder stepper for 1.4 amps .

VREF =.9*(stepper current/2).

So in my case i need .63 as VREF in order to get 1.4 Amps.

Thatā€™s correct, but thatā€™s pretty high for a 3D printer. With less current, you wonā€™t have any less accuracy, youā€™ll only be more likely to lose steps if thereā€™s a crash. More current is going to make the drivers and the motors warmer. If thereā€™s a crash, youā€™re hosed anyway, so Iā€™d set it lower.

Probably even as low as 0.35V. Others might have different opinions.

I would set the extruder higher because it will lose steps if youā€™re going fast, which a lot of people like to do. Maybe you were asking about the extruderā€¦ Unsolicited opinions are my specialty.

Yeah I was talking about the extruder. I bought the ramps from here so I didnā€™t even check the othersā€¦I probably should though.

Ratsā€¦I lost 15 mm on the Y axis. Not sure if its because of the aluminum plate I used or the extruder mount. I think its the extruder mount because the plate holes are darn close to the stork plate. I might need a flatter extruder stepper in order to gain some of it back.

I dont get full y either, but most of it. With your big stepper you might see if the stock mount will work for you.

Mine fits the stock mount in the stock direction if you use the tension screw not the thumb screw.

And you get 200 on Y?

I only have one on an MPCNC. The way you have yours mounted you are pushing the nozzle out the front. I am assuming 15mm, if you turn it 90 degrees the nozzle moves back, and you gain the lost distance.

I just got all the wiring done and Iā€™m trying to get the LCD to work. When I turn on the power the LCD turns on and I get the Marlin logo/version. The it goes to the home screen and the X, Y & Z letter switch back and forth from the axis letter to a question mark. Also when I turn the knob nothing happens. Any Ideas? Iā€™ve attached a short video but you need to stand on your head to watch.

IMG_1050.mov (1.67 MB)

You have to push it ?

looks good so far.

Spinning the knob on that screen does as it should and only adjust the feedrate.

Push it in and the menu comes up.

Oh Crapā€¦it must be my case printā€¦I canā€™t push itā€¦duh!

Works nowā€¦Just needed to pull the knob up a bit.

My extruder stepper is turning the wrong wayā€¦I assume I just reverse the connect on the boardā€¦the red wire is on the same pin as all the other steppers.

Yup, just make sure you are completely powered down an unplugged first.

So Iā€™m trying to calibrate the extruder as per the Aero Titan documentation. Iā€™ve updated the firmware with E steps set to #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 200, 200, 837, 200 }. Iā€™m only getting about 15mm when I select 100 from Repetier host manual control. Iā€™m assuming that the 100 on the extruder button in Repetier Host is 100mm. Any ideas? Stepper specs attached as well.

[blockquote]Firmware Calibration
Because Titan uses a known gearing ratio and a consistently machined drive gear, we can offer a fairly accurate steps / mm set-point.

Steps per Unit (Extruder) = Motor Steps * Micro-stepping * Gear Ratio / (Hobb Diameter * Pi)
Standard motor steps / rev = 400 for the new style motor or 200 for the old style motor (Refer to assembly steps if unsure which motor you have).
Standard micro-stepping = 16x
Gear Ratio = 3
Hobb Diameter (Effective) = 7.3
400 * 16 * 3 / (7.3 * 3.142) = 837
To test your value, mark the filament 120mm from the extruder then extrude 100mm slowly. If you do not measure 20mm after extrusion has finished, you may need to tweak this value.[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Nema17 14N-cm stepper motor with 24mm D shaft for grub screw.

These stepper motors are smaller NEMA17 Stepper Motors for use on your extruder or printer axes. Being only 25mm long but still producing 21N-cm of torque these motors make an excellent choice for use on your extruder. Lighter and shorter than the standard motors, but producing nearly as much torque. Hybrid.

Property Value
Manufacturer Motech
Model No. 1701HSM140
Holding Torque 14.7 N-cm
Resistance/Phase 1.9
Inductance/Phase 2.0
Stepping Angle 0.9Ā°
Rated Current 1.4A
Size 25mm[/blockquote]

I think I just realized what my issue is here. I applied the extruder steps to the Z stepper.

Edit: oops you found it :smiley:
I think you updated the wrong value :slight_smile: E steps is the last value

1 Like