Carbon Nylon Build in Massachusetts

So Christmas was absolutely incredible, and my MPCNC bought me 2 new presents- a Shapeoko XL (emergency purchase to meet demand) and an Industrial Artisan 4x8 router! I think I’m going to convert my MPCNC to a laser so I can keep it in service.

2 Likes

Wow.

That is a wonderful thing to hear. I have no problem being the gateway or stepping stone to a 5/6 figure machine! I am glad to hear that. Not to get too preachy about it but I think a lot of people skip the inexpensive step and stretch to get a small 5 figure machine (I almost did), then they realize they should be outsourcing or actually needing a different machine and almost wasting the 5 figure money.

I had no real intention of going to a big machine, but my regular job (I manage a sign company) is spending almost 100k a year on outsource routing. The owner is sunsetting, doesn’t want to expand machinery when he knows he’s out in the next 3 years and some of what we send out is full sheet work. I’m happy to make the investment and pull that income into my pocket. The shapeoko might stick around just for my Etsy side hustle, and eventually I’ll open my own sign shop with a fully paid for CNC if I don’t take over his.

I think everyone thinking about CNC should start with a low cost machine, whether it’s a build from scratch like the MPCNC or a kit like the shapeoko. Had I not fallen on a huge market opportunity I don’t think I would have ever moved past the MPCNC.

3 Likes

That is a great perspective. Thanks for sharing :+1:

1 Like

That is exactly how it happened for me. I almost started big, decided to build it, never moved past. It might not be the fastest but it has done ever thing I needed so far.

Your new venture is exciting, whichever direction it takes you congratulations on taking that step!