Challenges

Well, look what I found. I was looking for some cool designs and this was in there.

I we werenā€™t in the middle of a global pandemic, Iā€™d suggest this was an indication that a fact-finding travel junket was in order.

6 Likes

Yes please!

We just need to take some of the sailboats people have been talking about instead of a stuffy airplaneā€¦

4 Likes

Well, from central Wisconsin Iā€™ll need to choose between going down the Mississippi or out through the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence seaway, then around to the Panama Canal (assuming I donā€™t want to round Cape Horn or Cape Froward) before starting the mostly westward legs of my personal journey.

Oh yeah, and buy or build a sailboat.

Those of you on the U.S. West Coast should probably start without me. Aussies, Europeans, Africans, South Americans, and Asians are free to chart their own courses.

Well the solution is obvious. Letā€™s start building planes! What could possibly go wrong?

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping I didnā€™t inadvertantly offend any Antarctic MPCNC/LowRider owners by leaving that continent off the list.

1 Like

Theyā€™re surprisingly easy to build. Just a bit more difficult to test :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™m in. How much dollar-tree foam board do I need to get?

3 Likes

Well, thatā€™s obviously going to be predicated on your final designed size. For the trip weā€™re talking about I wouldnā€™t want to go with a yacht smaller than, say, 40ā€™. Remember also that the design wonā€™t just have the hull, you will want to also put in a helm and cabinā€¦

Could 3d print a hull and then do a fiberglass layup like this guy:

1 Like

I bet I can make this into a wooden nickel. Padauk in pine (or whatever this 2x4 is).

At first i thought it was a bit small but now that Iā€™m visualizing a comfortable circle around it, I think itā€™s perfect.

Not sure I have the guts to inlay both sides of a somewhat thin piece, so the back will probably be drawn with a pen.

4 Likes

Why not cut all the way through for both pieces? (and the circle of course!)

Iā€™d love to see that!

3 Likes

Sorry - I was saying foamboard for building the plane. Did the ā€œbuild your own boat from scratchā€ thing back when I lived in Kansas.

1 Like

I wonder how many panels it would take to pull our 40ā€™er to Hawaii?

1 Like

Because, obviously, if you are in Kansas you need a boatā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

About tree fiddy

4 Likes

Thatā€™s it. Thatā€™s the one. You win the thread.

1 Like

At one point while living in Lawrence, Kansas I owned 2 different Hunter 25ā€™s. One in Baltimore, Maryland and the other on San Diego, California. Thereā€™s a nice Corps of Engineers lake in Lawrence but I never managed to get either of those boats moved.
Built a Bolger Gypsy in my garage instead, and ended up moving it to my parentsā€™ lake house in Wisconsin.

1 Like

Our Yankee 24 is in Montana on Flathead Lake, so not quite as problematic of a commute than Kansas to either ocean. :slight_smile:

1 Like