Change Linear Pocketing Direction in Estlcam?

In Estlcam, is there a way to change the linear pocketing direction? For instance, I have a large sign that I need to pocket out. See drawing.

Currently, Estlcam creates a linear pocket by milling in the X axis. However the grain of my lumber is oriented with the Y axis. In my experience the milling always looks better when in runs with the grain. Milling across the grain leaves machine marks, especially on squishy wood like pine.

Is there a way to do this in software? If not, can I edit the LR Dual Endstop firmware so that Y and X are swapped? The length of the table is usually oriented with the grain so a permanent change would probably be fine.

If you’re comfortable with changing the firmware, a permanent change would go something like this:

1 Like

Yikes. No need to swap axes!

In Estlcam, under pocketing strategy (Choose linear) there’s another dialog for “Pocketing angle” Change the 0° to 90° and it will rotate to vertical.

Pocket

Or, if you like the 3D printed look, change it to 45°

5 Likes

Thanks guys. Nice to know both options are available but the software solution works best for me.

Here are the results. Might be a little hard to see but in person the difference is significant.

Milling across the grain:

Milling with the grain:

Not only was the run time much faster but the amount of finishing need will be substantially less. I may even scrap the first one and make another using the new program. Thanks!

1 Like