Choosing the correct firmware

Hey all…

I have been using my MPCNC for 2.5 years now. I need to replace my Mega and I’m looking or the best firmware option. This should be simple, I know… might just be overthinking (I AM tired…) but I’m a bit lost looking for the correct pre-config to start with.

My machine is using Mega, Ramps 1.4, 16 teeth on the X/Y, 5/15 ready rod (all thread?) for the Z. Full Graphic LCD.

The gitHub branch names are a bit cryptic (only because I have not been paying attention, I’m sure) and a forum search did not help me much. Thanks in advance…

Aaron

So, here’s a breakdown of a RAMPS version:

MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step ==> obviously for the MPCNC, but also for the LowRider

MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step ==> for RAMPS (other options are mRambo for miniRambo, Rambo for the full Rambo, ArchimX for well, Archim X=1 or 2)

MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step ==> T8 for the lead screw (you have the all thread, so you will need to adjust the steps/mm for the z-axis.

MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step ==> 16T for 16 tooth pulleys

MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step ==> LCD is enabled, though I can’t recall which one, full graphics smart LCD or something like it

MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step ==> 32 microsteps selected for the stepper driver, typically for the DRV8825 drivers (A4988 stepper drivers are only capable of up to 16 microsteps)

Hope that helps.

5 Likes

Thank You for the great break down… well said and very clear. (shoulda been clear to me in the first place, in hind sight but I appreciate the confirmation). I have no problem making adjustments but if someone else has done the work I may as well start out with something close…

Have a great day,
Aaron

1 Like

Maybe Ryan could put a matrix up on the firmware page with that spelled out… The naming conventions he’s using aren’t going to change until we start using a newer board that the current set so it shouldn’t need to be updated often.

1 Like

Cool, I added a little blurb, if this comes up again I will add links.

Have you seen when datasheets lay out their model numbers like that? That’s what I pictured in my head.

So I’m trying to flash my board…and I have A4988 drivers. Do I still use the 32step since there is no other options?

You can use it as the base and change the steps (and drivers type) to match your chosen hardware.

3 Likes

Thanks guys… Ryan your clarification on the Firmware page is very clear… I might suggest adding the same to the readme in your main repo… but that’s up to you to decide if it’s needed… Thanks again

1 Like