Chris' Build

Hey, speaking of Harbor Freight. Check your local store. The one closest to me is running a sale on most stuff this weekend. Those 12" clamps are like $4 each right now!

@Chris. Never worry about overbuilding work benches!!

I haven’t thought about homestar runner for a long time.

Finally! Assembly! I got all the way to starting to run the timing belts. I might be just a tad short on belt. That will suck.

Looking sharp. That was smart to build the table larger than the machine. I wish I had a little more space around mine.

You can always Daisy chain some zip ties to attach the too short belt, but you’ll lose some work area obviously, and the zip ties will flex more than the belt. But it will get you moving while you wait for shipping.

I had about a foot of belt left over. Woohoo!

Yep, I planned some extra table up front to set things on including the controller.

Right now I’m not happy with my wire layout. I have drag chain for X and Y, but I would like the X in the back out of the way. I guess I just need to run some more wire to make it work the way I want. I really don’t know what to do with Z. I need to look at some other builds for ideas.

I just need to cut the waste board and wire up my controller fans and it will be time to fire it up!!!

It’s up and running! I had to swap a few plugs around to get it to run the correct direction. I can’t get the Mac Repeiter Host to talk to it but it seems to run fine via SD card. I seen the reference to “fix” the Mac communication issue by changing the baud rate which I’ve tried. I have an official Arduino so I don’t believe I need the “driver”.

I like the electronics case. Did you find that on thingiverse somewhere?

Yay. Make some dust!

In Windows, you need the driver even if it’s the official Arduino. AFAIK. I don’t know Mac, but I know Linux. Does a port show up when you connect the USB? In Linux, it’s something like ‘/dev/ttyACM0’. That might be completely wrong, but I know some stuff is very Linux like and some stuff is very not.

@srcnet: yep, it’s the “Minion” case: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1029926

I mostly like it. I’m running dual fans but not the aviation connectors. A few issues: The SD card holder seems useless since it sits flush and there is no way to remove the card after insert without needlenose, unless I’m missing something in the design. The hinge is also too loose to really hold the screen up by itself reliably. I’m using a straightened piece of filament for the pin. I may try a tiny screw on one or two ends to increase the pressure on it for more friction. I did have to edit the knob file to fit my screen. The original hole was too big. I’ll post up a remix at some point. All the tolerances are very tight on all parts so expect some light sanding/cutting to get everything to fit correctly. It is still labeled a WIP.

@jeffb3: I’m just now realizing that there is a baud setting in Repetier that I didn’t set. That may be all it is. As I understand, the driver is just to communicate with a generic Arduino. I can comm with my official one just fine. I picked up a few real Arduinos back during the Radio Shack going out of business mega sale. I with I would have got more but even then my receipt was over 3 feet long with all the components and stuff I got. I went back for more two days later and they were cleaned out. I can “connect” Repetier to the machine but it just says “unknown printer firmware, waiting for temp”. I just need to do some more fiddling today.

Finally some dust! Design created and exported as DXF from Illustrator. Modeled and CAM programed in Fusion 360. Overall I’m happy with the first test in Aspen wood. The bit was just a little too close to the stock and left some move lines in the surface. Easily fixed. This is part of a coaster design idea I noticed on Inventables user christinachun and decided to recreate. This is the wood insert that will go into a milled Corian outer shell.