Closed Loop MPCNC

Heyyo everyone! I’ve straped a basic Arduino based Closed Loop System on the MPCNC. Works super well! :slight_smile:
I’m just mocking around with the MPCNC as a motion platform but you can really see the benefits of the Closed Loop approach. Much more powerful while cheaper motors and ofc no worrys about loosing position. Video with more information if anyone is interested: MPCNC Closed Loop experimenting - YouTube
btw Vicious1 you rock!! B-)

Thanks.

I actually saw that this morning while having some coffee. I need to look into those encoders that could make for a rock solid machine. Self correcting milling. The arduinos are cheap enough, I haven’t looked at your encoders yet.

I am excited to see where this goes, you can get some pretty high torque rc motors for very cheap.

I’ve been reading about this kind of approach, and it sounds pretty interesting. Not super super cheap, but also not all that expensive for 4 of these optical encoders and then you just need the wiring and an Arduino for each one right? At least, that’s what I’ve seen everybody else doing - having extra Arduinos for just the encoders to use.

This is so cool. I’ve just begun my journey into cnc and so far I’ve bought a bunch of parts (mostly the wrong ones haha). But now that I have learned about the closed loop… I was hoping I could use it in my final and first cnc machine. I just ordered some MKServo42C hats for my Nema17 motors. ( I have like 4 sets of Nemas from old 3d printers.

Anyways… very cool video man. I love what you did. So I built my Lowrider 3 about a year ago, but never was able to understand how to make it work. I’ve been trying to figure it out diligently this last month or so and this will be my first post here on V1

Look forward to seeing your future progress!

I actually have a few sets of these encoders too (general cnc encoders not the mks ones). I’m also not sure how they work. It all just stacks up and I get lost haha