CNC.js on Pi 1 A+ or USB Linux on Laptop

I am trying to find a solution here that does not involve buying a hard drive for my laptop. I have a Raspberry Pi 1 A+. Not sure if that is powerful enough to run cnc.js. Another option I thought of is running Ubuntu via a USB stick and installing CNC.js on there. Not sure if that would also cause problems.

Any experience advice? I’d love to get a Pi 4 but that’s not in the cards like the HD.

While I am not sure if the answer, I would also ask what you plan on running cad and cam software on?

Hopefully that helps you run though your next steps. I would imagine Ubuntu on a large
Memory stick would work.

I use Fusion 360, EstlCAM, and Inkscape for my workflow. So far I’m only doing 2D cutting.

The raspi 1 is going to choke on cnc.js.

You can run CNC.js on windows in standalone. You can also run it (although it is slow) in a pi zero-w, which is $5.

I’ve run it on my laptop in the standalone mode. I was just hoping not to have to spend money on additional parts or a new Pi as I want it always connected (don’t want the dust in my laptop). Luckily I found an old hard drive that has just enough space to make it work. Just need to learn the Linux differences now.