Cnc marks on toy mold

I haven’t noticed this before. This is a cheap molded part (lid from a toy called “brain flakes”). Looks like they used two different sized bits for roughing, and the perimeter has a good finish.

2 Likes

Ha, anytime I have dealt with mold makers they have some sort of scale of surface finish (some even use the machinists scale) That looks like a 0. 0=as machined for the last company. Cool to see what looks like either a 40% or 60% step over.

My MPCNC makes me look at the world in a totally different way. Injection mold machining videos was all I was about yesterday. I keep track of the Precious Plastic initiative by David Haakens. One of the long term use cases from my cnc would be to machine some molds for the eventual shredder and injection molding. Haven’t been able to convince a Boy Scout yet to do an Eagle Scout project for recycling milk jugs into mallet heads.

This guy’s work is entertaining and inspiring. His injection molding machine is neat.

1 Like

Injection molding is tougher than it seems. Super high pressure, super constant load, high heat and rapid cooling. I think molds for casting would be much more feasible. Unless precision is not a huge deal than a hand press and a heat can work, but it is slow and a lot of work and time.

2 Likes