Cnc plus 3d printer

Is there away to make the lowrider a 3d printer too…

Sure. But the big trouble is levelling the bed. The firmware would need to change, and you’d need a mount. It certainly wouldn’t be a super user friendly printer, but if you knew what you were doing, it is possible.

BTW, why did you post this in the zenxy category?

I don’t have a lowrider, but doesn’t the z axis lower due to gravity if the steppers aren’t on?

If so, you’d want to make sure the gantry is moved out the way after a print so it isn’ squished.

Can you explain how to change the firmware please

Oh man, I would like to, but it would take quite a while. If you started with the series firmware (not dual endstop) from Ryan’s github, then you’d be pretty close. I would actually page through the configuration and configuration_adv and just try to see what needed to be changed. It would be similar to configuring Marlin for a printer from scratch.

1 Like

Is it difficult to install an paste extruder to the cnc or do I also have to change the firmware.

I would like to extrude different amounts of liquid depending on dot or line width.

Most likely need to flash stock marlin for that. Once you get the hang of it, flashing back and forth isn’t that hard. Then you’re just 3d “printing” paste instead of melted plastic.

1 Like

Do I also need to change the firmware when printing one layer at a time and afterwards levelling the bed via the controller
I would like to print a stl file made from a svg that is just 1mm