CNC surface scanning / auto leveling

Hi… New to Estlcam, saw the video below about surface scan…

Has this feature gone in version 11.113 ? can’t seem to find it.

Could someone please explain how to replicate what’s shown in the video in version 11.113.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApBfHW7AhsM

Saw the video too, when my MPCNC did the first movements. Didn’t find it either, nor did I go that far to install version 8.xxx.

On the other hand, the MPCNC uses the Marlin firmware, which supports already bed levelling, could that feature not be helpful? Or does the gcode generators like Estlcam just can’t process the data?

That feature needed the estlcam firmware, which isn’t available on the rambo or ramps boards anymore.

There is a similar feature in bcnc, but I think it requires grbl firmware.

Hi again…

Thanks for your input.

I do use Marlin firmware on my 3D printer, setup with Auto Bed Levelling (bilinear 4 point with induction sensor)

But Bed levelling (flat surface) is by far not the same as shown in the video (probing bend surface of object to cut)

I also read somewhere that certain hardware was required, but for my home made cnc

I do use Arduino uno/cnc shield paired with Estlcam firmware for CNC and restoring controller to GRBL 1.1 for Laser (LaserGrbl)

So I got everything working very nicely, and surface scan of an object to cut would be so great, I can not believe that feature just vanished in thin air. I´ll keep looking :wink:

Ypu could try flashing the uno with the estlcam firmware and see if those features show up after it’s connected.

Hi there. The feature is still there in your cnc controller window - see attached pic. I am using Estlcam 11.113 as well. You do have to be careful of the size of the area to be scanned. This works If you are using an Arduino Uno with Estlcam programmed to it via the cnc controller start page - Program Controller button - as you may know already. I don’t think it works with the ‘software only’ version that everyone tries, and Certainly Not with the Rambo board. I used it recently to map a curved surface. Pic also attached.

2 Likes

BTW, if you are switching between Estlcam and Grbl on your Arduino anyways check out Lightburn for your laser. Enable Laser mode in Grbl. Fabulous combination.

OMG to JeffH…

I have no words, how did I overlook this the whole time, it was right in front of me…

I will have a look a Lightburn, Thanks for your help.

@JeffH:

Hi Jeff … I am also in need of the surface scan feature, however, I can’t find where/how to enable it … ??? I am using Estlcam 11.113 as well, and Arduino Uno …

I can see that in the “misc tab” of the controller settings dialog window there’s a surface scan probe setting but (attached screendump) there’s no surface scan icon in my actual CNC controller window … Wonder where it is …???

Any chance you can help here :wink:

Jesper

Hi Jesper M. As I indicated above, I use Estlcam directly with an Arduino Uno, that is with the Estlcam CNC controller under Setup I choose the GRBL 0.9 to 1.1 in Controller hardware, I have my Arduino Uno wired consistent with the GRBL Compatible hardware info on the right hand screen, and after setting the X Y Z variables, I click Program Controller at the bottom Left. This puts Estlcam firmware on to the Arduino Uno. As a result several new features (including Surface scan) appear as choices that you cannot see if you are not using Estlcam in this way. Every time you change a setting like feedrate or acceleration, you have to reprogram the Arduino.

I hope this answers your question.

Hello,

to make the button appear you first need to configure one input as probe input in the CNC controller setup dialog.

Without probe input the button is hidden as it would make no sense.

Christian

2 Likes

Hi JeffH & Christian … thanks for your feedbacks.

@JeffH: I personally use Estlcam with the “Arduino Uno” selection directly and when enabling one of the inputs as a probe like Christian describes the tool length & surface scan buttons appear. So my guess would be that besides the other way of connecting to the Arduino that you use then you also have enabled one of your sensor inputs to be a probe input … right … ???

@Christian Knuell: Thanks Christian for your clarification - it made the buttons appear. Hmmm … makes me think of a suggestion: May it be an idea that in the “input settings” dialog box - just under the INPUTS header and in the section where you write "limit switches, sensors and fault signals … " add a (bold type) sentence about how to enable surface scan etc.? Before posting here in this forum I searched the internet for information about this - without finding any - and I can’t see that it is written in any of your tool tips …

Cheers & thanks again,

Jesper

Hi Jesper. The probe leads plug into the top of the Arduino CNC shield board as on the picture I crudely marked below. The first and third blue pins on the shield board. You can attach a simple NO switch to them like a little limit switch. On the Inputs tab of Estlcam controller setup you can test the switch as well. Simply click it and one of the blue buttons will turn red, then you can change the name of that input to Probe. A pendant for Start, Pause , Estop and Reset can also be made with momentary contact switches and a common ground pin. Those pins are labelled on the CNC Shield.

If you need a super simple really cheap Z probe I’ll attach a picture of that too. Switch, zip tie, bit of wood, stiff wire, pen spring and the ends of 4 pop rivets crimped to the wire with wire cutters. The threaded bit on the bottom attaches to a plate on my Lowrider X axis.

Works like a charm. Cheap like borscht ha ha

Have fun

2 Likes

Hi Jeff,

Hmmm … thanks for your reply but I have a feeling that we might have misunderstood eachother … When I wrote in my previous post that I assumed that you had set one of your sensor inputs to be a “probe” I just thought this likely was the reason why your surface scan button appeared … I didn’t really mean to ask how you had made a probe (but thanks for replying positively to it ;-)) …

As it is I already have made a custom break-out board for the arduino uno where I have made connection room for a Z-axis zeroing sensor similar to what Christian Knüll suggests in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT_9LtDPnKw&list=PLgjmsd910cj7fT-G4YjjQUrOfVSn_Dt7v&index=44&t=49s

For a tool length sensor I am considering this sensor but I don’t yet know if it will be helpful in my context so for now mostly considering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6l6hma-Gv8&list=PLgjmsd910cj7fT-G4YjjQUrOfVSn_Dt7v&index=11&t=0s

Cheers,

Jesper

Hi Jesper. The Z probe picture is a bonus for you lol.

I made a corner touch plate as Christian suggests as well. I used MDF and covered the corner with one piece of aluminum tape (I discovered the glue doesn’t conduct). It’s great for fixing the workpiece zeros, tool length touch, and his automated measuring functions are slick.

I haven’t made a tool length sensor as in the second video but it would be like an upside down Z probe so I see more bits or wood and switches in my future. I have some tiny button switches that would work.

For Z probing a surface I used to use the bit mounted in the router with an alligator clip attached, and the other lead to some aluminum tape applied to the surface to be probed. That works OK.

The little Z probe I made out of really expensive components (above) eliminates the need to put tape on the surface to be measured. If I crash it for some reason, no harm done. I am probing the curved surfaces of bowls and plates, then going on to decorate them.