CNC.TFT, 515 Firmware, questions

Speed video on the FB group

https://www.facebook.com/100004323015363/videos/1516260178840546/

NICE!

I have it in 1080p, its 169mb

OK, I have done 10 planks like this, a 2.5D toolpath. Combined 4 toolpaths into one gcode file: Drill, Boss, Face, Cut-out with tabs. Stats are: Total Toolpath length with all moves and Z plunge/raise is: 9696 in (246278.4mm). Feed Rate of 230.85 in/min (5863.59mm/min) (average of all rates). Tool bit used: Freud solid carbide downcut.

Did you change the firmware limits? 97mm/s is pretty fast. Best I have with a 1/4" single flute is 12mm deep at 55mm/s. If you did not change your limits the firmware is keeping you at 50mm/s and 15mm/s.

Yep been tweaking to the limit. Decided to push to the extreme, haven’t lost steps yet…

After seeing last weeks vid, I thought changing a lot of settings was a given, :stuck_out_tongue:

Over the last 4 days I have been ramping up the feed rate, and acceleration looking for the failure, knowing it will come. Yesterday while testing the rig at a little over triple default feed rates and x3 the acceleration the z quit holding. The file used here in Carveco creates a toolpath summary saying it is a 2 hour 26 minute run. I am very happy with the tweaks and increases, and it now takes 40 minutes. The speed adjust was just over 2.5 times the default speeds and acceleration. Remember my friends, I am used to making machines and other hardware do far more than designed. In the end what it was designed to do isn’t always what it is able to do.

4 Likes

You might want to switch to larger endmills or deepr cuts. I find those to be more times savings than moving faster. That also preserves your endmill life as well. For my LR3 production cuts I do full depth slotting and keep bumping up the feedrates. Have not hit a limit yet and my router is still near the lowest settings so lots of room for more.

I made a mistake 3 days ago and cut a 11mm deep slot with a 1/2 endmill at 22mm/s with my 2’x4’ LR. That made a pile of shavings in about 5 seconds.

1 Like