Coasting

I went from large fonts…

To medium fonts…

To tiny fonts…

The smaller the text got the more I noticed any unevenness in my table. Basically, I had to zero z for each individual coaster otherwise I’d have either too deep or too shallow a carve depending on the flex of the ply or my table’s imperfections. The smallest text had a max depth of 1mm but I don’t think it’s even 1/3 mm deep so a 1/2 mm difference across a board is noticeable.

I’m hoping to set up a z probe soon!

5 Likes

Curious how small the small script is and what software and bit you used? I’m working on a gift that will likely be mounted in a shadow box and was thinking of having a calligrapher do something for me, so much the better if I can do it myself.

The “Woodland Beach, ON” is 51mm wide.
Estlcam, 60 deg v-bit, carve with a max depth of 1mm
It wowed me.

Would you mind running through your workflow. I would be interested in the software you are using to do the initial text/design and how you bring this into Estlcam.

Also, once carved are you painting and then sanding the surface?

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s the one I was lookin at. I’m guessing 5-6mm high?

Curious if you used the Text function of Estlcam for this or other software? And the font?

@B-26 I tried to post an svg with fonts but the text didn’t show up. I think I downloaded the font for the project. It’s called Sacramento and is set to 20pt.
Here’s an svg with paths. The text is about 16mm tall with the curve.
Text Sample

@Flyfisher604 Thanks
I used Inkscape for this, with the text functions it has. It allows you to wrap text on a path so I created a circle and placed it on there to get the curvature.
With Inkscape it’s important to set Preferences–>Tools “Bounding Box to Use” to “Geometric Bounding Box” This ensures sizing is based on an invisible line in the center of your paths so your measurements are accurate.
Then I Save a Copy as a dxf and import the dxf into Estlcam.

I experimented with a few methods for finishing but the final one that worked the best was:

1. Clear Varnish. 1 or 2 coats
  2. Spray paint.
  3. Sand lightly to get excess paint off
  4. Varnish again.

I had some bleed still. I didn’t have as much on another coaster that used a different ply. Not sure what the difference was but I’m assuming it’s because the top layer was a different type of wood.

20pt Type without the curve is .277" which is just about what I was looking for. Looks good, I wasn’t sure if I could go that small. Looks like I’ll be digging through the scrap pile next week and trying to learn new tricks. :grinning:

Thanks!

I would guess this is fairly thin material?
I think this might be a situation where a vacuum clamping system would be a good option. A vacuum table could be made (apparently they can be made of MDF), and surfaced with the CNC. This should hold the material down “flat” (relative to the router) and produce a fairly consistent DOC across the surface.

1 Like

I like the idea. Shorter term you made me think the tape/ca glue trick might do a similar thing. Holding down the piece in the middle.