Cold shed = low productivity. A few resin inlays

Cool.

I once worked for a company that had a lady come in and give 15 min chair massages. OMG that was nice.

Right now I’m 100% from home. So things are good minus the lack of social interaction.

The last place I worked at had the chair massages too. Third Thursday of every month.

1 Like

Back in the day, when I worked for Intel, we only worked half time. 7 to 7, 7 days a week. :slight_smile: You kids nowadays have it too easy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FWIW, I have worked like that, before kids. I know what it takes, and I know the satisfaction that comes with it. But I don’t work at a startup, I don’t own the company, and software engineers are in demand (especially ones that know robotics) so I am happy to say, “no, thanks” to jobs that want me to quit my life.

1 Like

My boss is old school, it’s all about being seen. He hates me working from home one day a week, because he assumes I do nothing, whereas in fact that’s my most productive time. I have suggested we move to genuine flexitime as an attraction for staff retention (we don’t pay well, and arguably can’t), so allow staff to take days off/afternoons off etc No dice.

I took COVID for our CEO to understand that some of us work really well from home.

We produced enough output during the first months of COVID that our company was giving us extra days off each month.

3 Likes

Is your output measurable? I think that was the hardest thing where I work. Some of the output just never comes, even after a lot of effort. Other times, it is suprisingly easy. So we don’t have easy day to day metrics for output.

I was one of a few remote workers before 2020. Since everyone has had a taste, the attitudes are definitely shifting. But it also isn’t for everyone.

Not directly, my job is kind of an internal consultant, and the tasks hugely varied.
I think I contribute, but then I would say that :wink:

1 Like

The top tree has more detail in the trunk. did you carve it differently or did the epoxy in the bottom one just hide it?

Those look really good btw.

They were completely accidental striations in the resin, but I will try and repeat it in future, it looks intentional and rather nice. The carvings are the same, there’s no detail within the trunk.

1 Like

Heh, shouldn’t they just use lines of code as a measurable? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jeff, all you did this week was delete 500 lines of code. This is going to affect your review!

But I put the 500 lines back in, doesn’t that count as a thousand in changes?

A few years ago, my company started collecting data on how many reactions we each ran per week as some kind of metric on productivity. I happened one week to be doing the same procedure loads of times, so reported 46 in a week (normal is 5-10). I discussed it with the big boss and learnt a life lesson: often these kind of things are put in place to deal with one or two difficult people who aren’t being managed properly. Weak/lazy/poor management is pervasive, and it is hard work to be a really good manager of people. I think I’ve worked for two genuinely good managers in thirty years, but maybe that says more about me!

Sounds like middle school (grades 7-8, jr high, whatever). My ability to do zero homework, yet still ace all the tests, annoyed the teachers so badly that my 8th grade year they implemented a fairly rigid homework policy, including notes home to parents, and even in-school suspension (congratulations, you get to spend ALL DAY in the principal’s office, doing the homework you’ve been neglecting). I had two of those suspensions, I think the only two awarded, and they kept the policy one more year, so it wouldn’t be quite so obvious.

Sometimes, the metrics don’t quite measure what you think they should…

2 Likes

Hello, another chemist here, Atleast in a former life.

I pour some two part epoxy projects and the smell doesn’t bother us in the house. Have you thought about bringing that step inside?

Edit: different sources of resin have different odors.

I’ve never even noticed the slightest odour from the epoxy I use, but then years in the lab may have dulled my sense of smell! I do it in the shed because I sometimes get leaks or make a bit of a mess. The missus would kill me! 24 hours in the shed, then 24 hours inside and it’s rock solid.

1 Like

I like this thread. Just as messy and jumbled as my head

2 Likes

I had a 9th grade american history teacher that insisted I took notes, but I was so bad at writing, I would learn more by just paying attention. He didn’t think so and he took a lot of time out of class to remind me to take notes.

He had this policy that if you got 80%+ on the tests, you would not have to do homework until the next test. There was always an essay question at the end worth 20 points and I would consistently get 79 on every test (I would miss one point somewhere and then he would adjust my essay score to make up the difference). Glad I’m not still bitter about it.

Bad managers and bad teachers suck the life right out of you.

1 Like

My wife got let go from a job because of a dumb metric.

She was a graphic designer in the marketing department.

The company was trying to find a reason to let someone go, so they decided that if you ‘over used’ the internal chat system, that you were spending more of your time chatting than working.

So the powers that be came up with some mythical number that designated the difference form legitimate work/vs being a chatty kathy.

Since my wife did 99% of her work through the chat system sharing design ideas and getting responses, her and the lady they were trying to fire were the only two hit by their system. My wife actually had more messages than the person they were trying to get rid of, so they had to let her go too.

1 Like