Ok this isn’t all that impressive by size but it’s taken me much longer to get here than I’d like to admit. It’s my first two sided milling that I actually got to work.
A friend of mine came to me with a piece from a collapsible ladder he has that broke. The manufacturer doesn’t sell the piece by itself so he asked if I could 3d print it.
Due to the size and design I didn’t think a 3d print would be very strong. So I thought about milling it out on my mpcnc.
I modeled it in fusion and spent far too long trying to set up the tool paths so I took it into estlcad and set it up pretty quickly. After a BUNCH Of iterations trying to mill it out of some plastic graphite stuff I had lying around, I finally had an epiphany. I poured a block of epoxy and just killed it out of that. I messed up the first try as the cleanup pass chipped a hunk off. In the end I finally got a finished piece that looks pretty decent.
I think the thing I’m most impressed with is that I mistakenly thought making my mpcnc large-ish (3’x3’ usable area) was a good idea. Well, it’s a little wobbly at times but I was quite surprised it could still mill something this small with a pretty decent accuracy.