Connect wires x and y to the motors

Hello,

I’m finally to the point that it works :D, the Z axis is already working. But the X and Y are crackling and stop to work.
I have bought the wires set: how do I connect the X and Y? And on what for motor? The front and back is X or the left and front?

Tried a few options but it stops working. Maybe i have connected them wrong, hope someone can help me :slight_smile:
Almost there hehe, now the last problems

https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/wiring-the-steppers/

Yea, that was not enough information. Doesn’t tell my problems. But got it fixed: had wires on the wrong place, so needed to take them out and replace them. Then it worked. Now only need to fix the Z-axis, that sometimes doesn’t pull the rod down. Thanks anyways.

What information was missing? I would like to update it so nothing is missing.

If you buy it from you it should be correct I think, I just screwed up by trying to do it on my own first. The colors of the wires should be matched, thats the only thing missing i think. And where to place the X, the Y and the Z. I found that on Google, but it’s also displays on the kit itself (but the Z axis has 2 places to connect)

And if you don’t buy the wires: you could add an better image of the wires together (matching colors). The 2 wires of the X needs to be connected with eachother, but you can do that by removing the top part of end of the wires and place it back together on the correct place (match the colors of the motor). That was the part we didn’t understand correctly before buying the wiring kit.

Hope you understand what i mean by this. Hard to explain for me since my main language is not English. So it can also be my own fault that i didn’t understand it. This was the only part i had trouble with together with the motors, all other parts where very easy to understand.

All stepper manufactures use different color wires. It is impossible to make a diagram for all of them. The diagrams do not even match the wires I sell. The ramps board axis plugs are labeled on the board, And I show it here, in the build instructions, https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/ramps-wiring/. Either z axis plug works they are the exact same.

I don’t understand the rest but I hope it helped, I can only do so much to help with hardware I didn’t supply.

Thanks, didn’t know the colors where different: mine are the same. Yeh, then you can’t do a lot more to make it easier. Thanks for everything! I have it fixed now. Only need to tighten the z-axis and re-arrange. Then i’m done. Thanks for everything: really like how good you described everything: only those 2 parts where hard, and now I know why this is so hard to describe this.

It would be nice to have the images updated to show the wires as you actually sell them, and perhaps with the note that the Z axis wires are backwards from the X and Y (at least on mine). You show a Z connected but the X and Y off, which is OK but would be better if there was text saying something like each axis is connected similarly. It’d also be nice to have a foot note showing which connectors to use for the display, for the 3D print head and for limit switches. Don’t the RAMPS people have a drawing of connector placement that could be tweaked?

The z isn’t backwards on mine, the y was backwards if you are on older firmware but has been changed in the new firmware…hence the no wires in the pic. It is not shown in the ramps page but explained clearly in the assembly instructions and the first testing page, even a separate page linked in three places if your axis is moving the wrong way, then new firmware I have corrected it…BUT…it is all going to be changing.

I got the new wiring harnesses in this morning.

If it is bought from me it is as plug and play as it could possibly be, you used to have to hand solder the steppers. If you are doing the build with your own hardware there are two wiring diagrams on here and plenty available elsewhere if mine aren’t clear enough. The software and milling feeds and speeds are a hundred hard time more complicated than plugging in steppers.

OK, should a positive movement (up arrow on the Repetier Host screen) move the Z axis away from the surface (up) or toward the surface (down). I may just be confused as to which way it’s supposed to move. (BTW, mine moved around today for the first time) :slight_smile:

If i press the up button then the mpcnc goes down. And I have bought the wiring kit and the arduino here.
Don’t know if this is correct cause it’s also mine first time.

Guys, how much more do you want Vicious to do? You are talking about a do it yourself machine here. He is not a manufacturer of Lego kits with step by step images. I don’t want to be offensive, but if you’re unable to get this done, I doubt you will ever get it to mill/machine correctly since setting that up is going to be a lot harder.

And the electronics are always going te be difficult since there are a lot of different manufacturers that use different colours. I think i have 4 colour combinations around here from all the motors i have collected. :stuck_out_tongue: And the Ramps boards are even labeled with the axis…So do some research yourself, especially if you haven’t bought a kit from here. Isn’t getting it to work part of the fun of building such a device?

But good luck building your machines. :wink: The manuals on this site and the information on the forum should already be plentiful to get it to work.

Ztbex, you forget a few things:

• he asked what parts I was missing, so he could update it. That’s why we answered.
  • Not everyone is an engineering pro
  • not everyone uses this for milling/ cnc

U forget more then this, but these are the most important. And for me: i’m not an engineering pro. So: i dont know the stuff about wiring. Besides that, i dont use it yet for milling. But now that I have figured out the wiring stuff, all other stuff you and vicious talk about as hard: I find it really easy! The making is done, now comes the setting up. And that part is really easy for me since i understand it. The setting up was done in a few minutes, the making of this mpcnc was taking days to understand. Not everyone is equal, and the parts you guys find hard: someone else finds that easy. And the parts that you find easy, someone else finds that hard.

The question that I had was already fixed. I found the problem myself. And: If you had read correctly: I had bought the kit here. But these things I read a lot on this forum and that’s pretty sad. Some stuff you guys talk about as hard stuff in other parts in the forum I think sometimes the same thing: how did they make the cnc and not understand this? So remember: not everyone is equal and we got all or strengths and weaknesses. This was my first project ever with wires and engineering. So that was my hard part. All other stuff is pretty easy so far (also setting it up). Besides that: try to search something on this forum is almost impossible. U can better search on google with site:vicious1 then searching on this site. Really appreciate the help of vicious and what he is doing though!!! And am happy he wants to help all the people that don’t understand the stuff you people find easy.

You are right that everybody has it strengths. It wasn’t meant to be offensive or anything, I just think sometimes that people should understand that they are buying/making do it yourself stuff and that the makers of that aren’t responsible for you getting it to work. It seems sometimes people expect this when they don’t have the right to. And I don’t mind questions as long as people try to put in a little effort themselves too. So it was nothing against you, just a general statement. :wink: I don’t want to be the frustrated german sebastian vettel here. :wink: Glad you got it to work.

I’m perfectly happy to have the Z axis up arrow make the tool go down, since I could think of it from the viewpoint of the tool, moving up into the cut. I just wanted to know if that was right. I love this design, there has obviously been a huge amount of work put into making it as elegant as possible. Any help I can provide in making it even easier for future builds is help I’m happy to provide.

Reverse the connector on the board to reverse the direction of travel.
Yeah, the wiring is a pain in the butt. Especially if you have to extend the wires for a larger build. Knowing the pinouts/pairs can get you past color confusion. Take pictures of any connectors you take apart to extend the wires.