Connecting Estlcam to Arduino

Hi,
I recently finished building my MPCNC and have successfully done some test cuts using Estlcam + Arduino (GRBL) setup.

Do I need to use the ‘Program Controller’ option in the ‘Setup–>CNC Controller’ menu every time I turn on my MPCNC even if I do not change any settings? Without this, Estlcam cannot ‘connect’ to Arduino and move the CNC machine.

Does the above option program the Arduino every time? If so, then it seems unnecessary. Or am I missing another option to ‘connect’ after I start Estlcam software?

No…The first time you connect your Uno/Mega EstlCam will re-flash the firmware on the Arduino so it can control it. You do this with the Program controller tab. Once done EstlCam displays a 'controller running ’ message. If you just disconnect and shut down EstlCam your Arduino remains programmed for use with EstlCam. If you re-connect and re-start EstlCam it does not need to be re-programmed. If you press ‘restore controller’ EstlCam will flash GRBL back onto your Arduino. You can use the Open Settins and Save settings buttons to manage your particular machines settings.

Look in the CNC controller state window to see the current state of the controller…it should say controller running.

Thanks Mike. It works fine if I shut down gracefully. So, my bad! Earlier, I used to yank out the USB cable after the cut. The software would throw some kind of an error and I would mindlessly dismiss it. Next time, if I plugged in the USB cable, the software would not automatically detect that a controller has been plugged in. So, the status was ‘stopped’ and it would recover only after I reprogram.

I will show a little more love going forward!

Computers bite back!:slight_smile: