Continue building Burly, or switch to Primo?

I’m seeking opinions on whether to continue with this build and manually sourcing parts, or start new with printing Primo and ordering parts kit.

I’m coming back to this after being sidetracked for some time. I was in the process of printing the Burly and was going to order the parts pack from V1. Here’s my current progress:
QTY Description Infill Status
2 Bottom_CornerJ2 55% Done
2 BottomM_CornerJ2 55% Done
2 Lock-CornerJ2 55% Done
2 LockM_CornerJ2 55% Done
2 Top_CornerJ2 55% Done
2 TopM_CornerJ2 55% Done
4 Spacer_Corner_J3_Burly 65%
4 J-Foot_2018 35%
2 J-Roller 55% Done
2 J-Roller M 55% Done
4 J-RollerMount 55%
4 J-RollerPlate 55%
2 XY_J_Burly 55%
2 XYZ_J_Burly 65%
2 Gantry_Spacer_J 55% Done
2 Nut_Trap_Burly 55% Done
1 Tool_Mount_J_6-32 35%
1 Z_Lower_J_Burly 55% Done
1 Z_Motor_J_Burly 55% Done

My considerations are:
Continue with Burly

• Older design
  • Printing about 50% complete
  • The Burly parts kit is no longer available from V1, so I would need to source it all manually.

Start new with Primo

• Newer design
  • Must print all parts
  • Primo kits available from V1

I guess my main question is if the improvements in Primo are worth scrapping my completed prints? I have tons of filament so cost isn’t an issue in that regard.

Honestly - I used to recommend people finish they Burley builds, because the PRIMO would take a while to settle in and to figure out all its quirks. But now I would actually say go for it. The lost filament is a bummer, but you would certainly brake parts and need new prints anyways. Sourcing the stuff is super annoying, you never know wether the parts are good enough, and troubleshooting would be difficult when you have parts that you are not totally confident with. Getting the kit from Ryan is the easiest path down this rabbit hole, and now Primo is the only option. I’m just waiting to the 25mm version, to upgrade mine.

Actually, Ryan is now offering the printed parts just in case that influences your decision.

While I think the PRIMO is a beautiful piece of work I know I’m not remotely close to being able to get everything out of my Burly, probably be a 2nd or 3rd generation PRIMO by the time that happens. :upside_down_face:

I’d jump to the primo.

The Primo is easier to build. Less parts count (I think) and seems to be at least a little more capable.

This is coming from someone that took FOREVER to upgrade from the 525 to the Burly, but was one of the first to jump to the Primo.

2 Likes

Hell, the simplified hardware alone is awesome.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I decided to go Primo, and already ordered the parts kit to ensure I don’t get distracted again.

I didn’t order a controller since I wanted the Rambo but it’s out of stock. I do have a spare Creality Ender3 1.1.5 board left over from when I upgraded to the Mini SKR, and I saw on here people have gotten that working so I’m going to give that a try until the Rambo is available again. Given how long it will take me to print it all I may not have to wait long.

If you are familier with microcontrollers, flashing firmware and setting up electronics, the SKR can work. But if you are new to this realm of reality, I would suggest waiting for the pre-flashed Rambo. The learning curve is quite steep on it’s own, setting up old boards can be a hassle… but who am I to judge? I’m just mirroring my own journey here…

I work in IT and am more comfortable flashing firmware than I am designing CNC :slight_smile:

I’d actually try using the Creality board, as the SKR is installed in my Ender 3.

That board doesn’t have a bootloader so if I can’t get that working first the rest doesn’t matter. Is there any news on when the pre-flashed Rambos will be available?

1 Like

https://www.v1engineering.com/contact <— All things inventory-related.

I flashed a bootloader on my ender 3 board so I could run vanilla marlin. Really simple, several walkthroughs on YouTube. Michael Laws on Teaching Tech has a really good one.

The issue is the boards have been out of stock for what seems like years. I switched to an SKR board after waiting and waiting for the board to be back in stock

I know, that’s been a topic for a while. Ryan has them in stock now and then. Skr is working, but it’s not as solid as rambo. Seems like an esp32 alternative is under consideration atm.

1 Like

I went with the mini rambo and just don’t worry about endstops.

3 Likes

Damn. I went to the site to refresh my memory of how to build the central section since I finally have time to do the Burly update, only to find the Primo option.

The only reason I am doing the update is that I had so many broken parts on the orginal. All the rollers had cracked, all the corners had cracked or broken and it was no longer stable. Interestingly, the only bad parts were from the same batch and color. The alternate color had zero problems, so bad prints from the store. I printed all the Burly parts myself and also added in a drag chain option.

Since I’m in your same boat I’m continuing with the Burly build. Not only would Primo delay me substantially after looking at it I think it will have its own unique problems. I know how to tune the current design and so will use the Burly until I need to do more than rocking horses, some engraving, signage, boxes, etc. Then I’ll make the jump to an Avid machine with a real spindle. This has been a great learning and entry machine, but life moves on.

Burly spacers just finished printing so off to finish the build.

Oh, and one thing that needs to be incorporated into EVERY design is a drag chain option. Wires flopping around is a major reliability issue; that’s why I did my chain designs.

I agree. I went with the tape measure trick. It works really well with very little drag. I gave mine a piece of angle aluminum to ride on, but I’ve seen some that just let it float in free space.

2 Likes

I bought this board https://www.arduinoclub.de/2020/04/11/estlcam-control-card-with-arduino-mega-and-jog-wheel/. They ship worldwide and the card is solid. You can use it nearly out of the box with Estlcam.