Cracking during assembly

I’m printing four more clamps for the Primo, because this happened to all four. This is a SUPER TIGHT fit, and I think this part is the one part with the least tolerance. Any advice here before I break more? I’m not sure how to make the conduit smaller, and not sure how to sand-out the part to make it fit better. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Are you printing the 23.5 mm parts? Have you measured your conduit outer diameter to make sure it is correct as well as measuring your part? I know Ryan has a 3D calibration test print somewhere to check to see how accurate your 3D printer is printing. Those would be the first things I would check!

I am printing the right parts, and the conduit measures perfectly. Maybe the printer needs some kind of calibration. I’ll look for something online about it. I have ALL the parts printed, and the conduit snaps-in snugly to all the parts. These clamps though will be the toughest fit, as there is zero clearance when they are fully seated.

I’ll cancel my re-print of the clamps until I can verify the printing accuracy. If you can link me to a tool of some kind, I’d appreciate it. Thanks for the quick reply.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/38846-zx-and-zy-printer-frame-test

The conduit measures 26.2 mm OD (1.01"), and the parts measure 25.2mm (.99"). I think the flow on the printer might be a bit high, causing “fat” prints. Plus the conduit being ever so slightly larger than 1" is exacerbating the problem.

I’ll see if I can calibrate the flow/feed rate and get a slimmer print.

That is not the right conduit.

We use 3/4" EMT for the 23.5mm set
For the 25.4mm set we use stainless steel or 1" DOM, there is not conduit that fits.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/mpcnc/PParts/#printed-parts-sizes

By the way, 26.2 / 25.4 = 1.0315

Ryan releases a different design for 25 mm vs. 25.4 mm so you can infer that 0.2 mm of difference is not close enough, or at least not close enough to be “good enough” or he would just split the difference and release 25.2.

26.2 is off by 0.8 mm so that is a lot.

1 Like

I printed the 25.4mm parts, since those were the only ones available when I started. It still says that it’s for 1" conduit on the link above. Since the conduit at my local Home Depot is 1.01", I thought that was within some margin of error. Clearly, I was wrong. I’d rather not re-print all these parts for smaller conduit, if I can get the right 25.4mm tubing from a different store or online.

Do any of you have a verified source for 1" DOM that will fit these parts? If I’m going to spend another ~$100 on steel, I need to be sure it is correct.

Big R. Stock and Field Tractor Supply in 4 foot pieces

1 Like

I’m not seeing that, I need to change it if it says that somewhere. Can you cut and paste that part please.

I got some non-stainless (welded) tube from Metal Supermarkets locally, extra-thick wall (0.120" instead of 0.065") for $58. The normal wall thickness will be cheaper.

Buying “tube” (not pipe, not conduit) that is 1" O.D. is usually quite accurate except depending on the handling it can be slightly smooshed or bent.

Also this might be interesting to you, although it is definitely not recommended. It’s an advanced build that may have issues down the road since it’s sort of a hack:

Maybe it just needs to be more clear. list the three sizes separately, and the compatible materials with each one. Since J-25.4 is for 1" material, and I bought 1" OD conduit that is actually 1.01", I thought it would fit. In-fact, I had one of the pieces with me when I bought the conduit. It fit nicely. The ONLY part it doesn’t work with is the clamp on the legs. The top of the clamp when the tube is fully-seated is the only place where there is no tolerance. I plan to use the existing tubing everywhere else with my existing parts. I only need tubing for the feet:

1 Like

I take that back… I’m going to need new tubing. The clamps don’t fully seat where the rails cross over. I’m heading out for the long weekend, so I’ll attack this when I return.

Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies.

You can submit changes by clicking on that small icon on the top right or let me know how you think it should be said here. I would love to prevent this from happening again.

This is exactly how it has been worded for the last few years. We had this issue before but it had mostly gone away since this version.

They aren’t supposed to fully seat. There’s supposed to be a 1-2 mm gap all the way around. Re-read the instructions, almost every. single. connection. is a clamping connection that’s supposed to have a gap and start out with almost no tension on it.