Cribbage boards

Coming along nicely. Need to carve a peg holder in the bottom. Add some stain. Maybe we’ll spray paint into the carves, I’m just concerned it’ll absorb into the wood and I won’t be able to sand off the surface overspray … Which would ruin it

6 Likes

You could spray a coat of clear to seal the grain before doing color in the carvings. I’d try a sample carving if you’ve got any scrap left over.

3 Likes

I personally wouldn’t stain them either. Just clear coat, probably polycrylic would look really nice.

1 Like

Yeah, probably some oil or shellac or something.

1 Like

Spraying is easy it won’t fill the holes or edge of holes depends on how tight the pegs fit

1 Like

Applying oil with a soft cloth in many thin layers, wet in wet, leads to a marvelous finish. If necessary, give it a brush over with fine steel wool before the last one or two layers. Choose the oil according to the intended application and environment.

1 Like

Ran out of time. Applied shellac. Found craft dowels for pegs (couldn’t find metal ones)!

Birthday party is today, I hope they like them

2 Likes

Also tried making the peg cover from the oak, but it broke around the screw on me on a couple attempts. MDF held up well

1 Like

Try 3D printing it

1 Like

I printed a box and glued it in place with yours just printing the twistey lid would be great or cut from plexy or some plastic or metal everyone want to cut aluminum nows your chance😀

1 Like