Cutting Aluminum Flashing

I use fusion 360 for all my 3d printed stuff, but have never used it for CNC. I’ll look at it and the sheet metal part if this relatively simple project turns out well enough and I decide to do more with it. I’m thinking of using the same technique to create an aluminum shell for my robot and to do so will be much more complicated because it will have curves in it. Using a Vbit might solve my problem with cutting out the intricate parts, but I’d probably have to level out the spoilboard near perfect. Worse-case I can use a marker holder to trace out complex cutlines.

Another simpler yet messy idea, is super77 adhesive spray. You could spray the board and alum, then use a rubber roller to press the alum down nice and flat against your board.

Another stronger option is 2 sided carpet tape. That stuff REALLY STICKS! A few small pieces is enough to hold my mdf router templates on mdf, while I plow full width by hand with a 3/4 endmill, 1/4 deep, with my 2.5hp router, and get clean results. It may be too much adhesion for alum sheet though (may to crease when you go to remove it if you don’t use naptha).

1 Like

I just finished the build and once I get it entirely finalized, I’ll make a post of it on “Things You’ve Made”.

I think next time I contemplate this type of design, I’ll probably forgo the wrapping around the edge and just cut it flush, then use some aluminum angle to form an overlapping edge to finish it off and cover the exposed wood. I think it would come out cleaner and be a whole let less time consuming. I do like how it came out but I’m having to 3D print some edge covers anyway since they didn’t come out very well and have sharp edges.

I’ve can attest to its stickiness… I’ve used to to hold PCB boards down to the spoilboard on my mini desktop CNC. But it might be too sticky for this application because the back-to-back masking tape was actually strong enough to make it difficult to remove the piece from the rest of the board, It came apart, but took a bit of force to separate it and I worry that something as strong as carpet tape would result in some unintended bending of the flashing.

1 Like