Cutting tiles?

Did anyone by chance try to cut tiles? Is there a special endmill? I’d love to do fancy shit for a bathroom in a few years. :smiley:

Don’t know about cutting tiles… but you can sure do some “fancy”/custom tile engravings with a little 2.5W diode laser and your MPCNC. Why wait years? :crazy_face:

– David

3 Likes

That does look pretty good also. Does it last in water, like a shower? Or does it wash off?

It is a permanent, slightly raised, fused-to-the-surface, engraving that works on glass as well as the ceramic tiles…

Here’s the Norton white tile method explained by the author himself…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk2A9F8Vunw

And this is just a sampling of his work…

– David

3 Likes

@Tokoloshe, I would love to figure out how to do some mosaics. Tile dust is pretty dangerous so you may want to build a water container similar to what @stylesuxx uses to cut CF.

Vienna now has a(nother?) MPCNC

@dkj4linux, those are awesome!

1 Like

I haven’t done much tile work, but I did cut some with an angle grinder and a ceramics blade. That made So Much Dust. It also was much slower than wood. I think there are a few posts about stone carving and that would probably be pretty close.

IDK if you are into pottery, or know a place nearby with classes or something. But maybe you could carve something into the clay and then fire them instead of working on the hard stone?

4 Likes

You should mount a water jet to your MPCNC. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also could be someone near with an intense hobby. A friend of my wife’s bought a kiln and melted some wine bottles. I think she wanted to sell pottery, but we haven’t talked much since covid happened. I had some really good ideas that didn’t quite pan out, and we need to get back to that!