This is what I’ve done yesterday: a top plate for my 3D printer.
I was sick and tired of the original design… Before, the spool was just sitting on a bearing on top of the printer, and what happened regularly was that the extruder was pulling it out of the bearing, then the spool was falling onto the print head, ruining hours of beautiful prints.
This happened to me very often, it really was incredibly annoying.
It happened to me for the last time 2 days ago, when I decided that I now can use my CNC to build something better.
As usual I made the drawing on Tinkercad, took me less than an hour since the shapes were pretty easy.
It’s been cut into MDF, which gives fairly good results. Unfortunately It’s been a nightmare to cut since I had all these electrical problems, but in the end it turned out great.
The rotating plate is mounted on bearings, and the spool must be pressed on it (it’s a tight fit) so it cannot fall off accidentally. It seems to work really well.
The only thing I’m not satisfied of is the bowden tube angle, I may need to reword that a little, I’ll see if this really is m issue during use.
Anyway, as usual, a few pics: