Did I brick my Arduino

hey guys,

1. Did you buy everything from here?
    a) No sorry :frowning:

2. PC

while flashing the marlin firmware on it suddenly stopped and posted these mistakes:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)” Der Sketch verwendet 104098 Bytes (40%) des Programmspeicherplatzes. Das Maximum sind 253952 Bytes. Globale Variablen verwenden 4633 Bytes (56%) des dynamischen Speichers, 3559 Bytes für lokale Variablen verbleiben. Das Maximum sind 8192 Bytes. avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “\.\COM7”: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: Das Handle ist ungültig. avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Das Handle ist ungültig. avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Das Handle ist ungültig. avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Das Handle ist ungültig. avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Das Handle ist ungültig. avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Das Handle ist ungültig. avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Das Handle ist ungültig. avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Das Handle ist ungültig. avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer Dieser Bericht wäre detaillierter, wenn die Option “Ausführliche Ausgabe während der Kompilierung” in Datei -> Voreinstellungen aktiviert wäre.

Now I am unable to communicate with the arduino. It does not even show up in the device manager.

Has someone an idea how to fix this?

kind regards

M

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino / Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)" 
The Sketch uses 104098 bytes (40%) of program memory space. The maximum is 253952 bytes. 
Global variables use 4633 bytes (56%) of dynamic memory, 3559 bytes remain for local variables. 
The maximum is 8192 bytes. avrdude: ser_open (): can not open device "\\. \ COM7": 
The system can not find the specified file. avrdude: ser_drain (): read error: 
The handle is invalid. avrdude: ser_send (): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send (): 
failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv (): read error: The handle is invalid. avrdude: 
ser_recv (): read error: The handle is invalid. avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage (): timeout avrdude: 
ser_send (): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send (): 
failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv (): read error: 
The handle is invalid. avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage (): timeout avrdude: 
stk500v2_getsync (): timeout communicating with programmer 
This report would be more detailed if the option "Verbose output during compilation" was enabled in 
File -> Preferences.
  1. Are you sure you have the right port? ser_open (): can not open device "\. \ COM7"
  2. Are the drivers installed (This is a dumb question, because you already were flashing it, but in windows, you need drivers, so maybe they got messed up? IDK, I’m a Linux user). Reinstalling arduino IDE should reinstall the drivers.
  3. If it’s the hardware, then it’s probably just better to get a whole new one. For $10 or whatever for a mega clone, it’s not really worth debugging. However, it is worth it to figure out what went wrong. They are impossible (pretty much) to brick with just software loads, so just flashing it didn’t break it (I feel very confident about that). Did you do anything to let the magic smoke out? The parts that could be broken: The USB->UART chip (FTDI, or some clone), The main CPU (like if you shorted an output pin or something)… That’s about it. The voltage regulator brings the 12V down to 5V, but the USB should power it straight to the 5V.

Don’t beat yourself up over it, the clones are quite crappy and made very fast, so they have a high failure rate.

I would spend the time either trying to flash it with another machine or flash another arduino with your windows machine, to make sure it’s the hardware that’s broken. But at that point, I would also just get another one (they are useful as spares, or for other projects).

Also, if you haven’t already, disconnect everything from it, and just try flashing with the board and the USB. Just to make sure there isn’t a short to ground somewhere that’s keeping the Arduino from booting.

1 Like

I agree with this 100%.

You error says wrong com port.

I have stopped selling them becuase so many of them do not work now. If you bought an import it could be the problem, Some are just dead out of the box and some require a special driver because they use the older cheaper usb chip. You need to find out what you bought since you didn’t give us a link.

1 Like

The drivers, CH34, (chinese clone chip) were doing good. It just stopped uploading the firmware

at ~70% of the bar. Then I tried it with and without the Ramps but no connecntion via USB was

possible. The same occured on another machine.

This morning I gave it another shot and flashing worked fine the firmware runs.

That brings me to the assumption that either

a) Shortcircuit on the board

b) Loose connection within the board

© Computerghosts)

created the error.

I blame computer ghosts. Maybe you should pick up another one, on the slow boat from China, just as a spare. You might find these ghosts coming back from time to time.

1 Like